Damp floor under laminate (Ed.)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I’m replacing the floor of a Victorian terrace I bought last year. On lifting the laminate there are Victorian black and red tiles ( the name has escaped me) which seem to have been Laine on clay. Under the laminate there are damp patches and mould in some tiles.
The damp company said they will paint the damp proof membrane over the tiles and then there will be a protective underlay to stop any damp reaching the laminate. The laminate I got does not have the plastic back of boards. Would I have to paint them too?
Finally… one damp company suggested I leave some drainage points along the skirting… any idea what that is? He said it will act as a drip tray for any condensation trying to escape.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Depending on the damp you need to control it.
We always go ardex na to smooth the floor then Ardex DPM1c
Or take the tiles up and get asphalt put down at 20mm

My mother had issues with moisture rising up through the concrete floor in the kitchen of her Victorian house. Before replacing the kitchen, I coated the floor twice with a two-part epoxy resin. Expensive, but transformative! No more damp and no more musty smells!!

Sponsored Links
Look at the outdoor and the indoor stopcocks, and estimate where the hundred-year old waterpipe is.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back