wood laminate flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am laying wood laminate flooring in the kitchen on a flat concrete floor. Is it best to use Combily underlay (which includes a damp proof membrane) or just the ordinary stuff.

Sponsored Links
Hi
Be careful laying laminate flooring in kitchens. They are no good for getting water on and this is likely in a kitchen.

In my opinion i would not use laminate flooring in a kitchen or in a bathroom. You can get vinyl tiles that look like laminate wood flooring and will do the job much better.

If you do go for laminate you will need to make sure the concrete has dried out. Then use the combi lay, with the silver linning.

This is only my opinion on laminates in kitchens, so good luck and hope it goes well.

Thanks
Coggy

Hi,

Working for one of the sheds means that I've seen laminate from the selling point of view. Most of the various makes say not to use it in b/rooms, kitchens or high moisture areas. I have used it in bathrooms twice with no problem because speaking to the reps, they say that the only problem really is with standing spillages which aren't cleaned up for some time. Both times were on concrete and both times I used the foam underaly with the damp proof membrane - looks good.

:D

I did my bathroom using Laminate that was designed for the job (Kitchens and Bathrooms). It wasn't cheap but I've had no problems with it. Only thing is it looks sort of 'plasticy'? to me and I don't think I would use it again.

Sponsored Links
kitc said:
I am laying wood laminate flooring in the kitchen on a flat concrete floor. Is it best to use Combily underlay (which includes a damp proof membrane) or just the ordinary stuff.

Use the damp proof membrane - it comes with 90% of laminate flooring anyway.
Although your floor may not contain moisture at present - it will protect the floor in future aswell as making it more comfortable to walk on.
Just be careful not to overlap the strips of membrane under the floor.

Hi

It doesn't really matter which you use. However, you will need to check the moisture of the sub floor using a moisture meter first. If the reading is above 12% you should reconsider laying the floor.

If you use a seperate membrane it may be easier to install a single sheet without joins as this is always better that having to join the membrane. However, if you do need to make a join ensure that the join is overlaping by at least 3 inches and seal the join with a suiatble moisture resistant jointing tape.

Good Luck

kitc said:

floorman said:
Hi

However, you will need to check the moisture of the sub floor using a moisture meter first. If the reading is above 12% you should reconsider laying the floor.

Hi floorman.
12% moist in concrete? That's wet, very wet. This has to be below 2,1%

And, as other have mentioned, always use a DPM (either with a 2-1 product or separate) on concrete flooring.
Most Melamine Laminates are not very suitable for kitchens.

You're obviously not familiar with a miosture meter then? 12% WME on the Protimeter is an average reading. A high reading is from 16 upwards. And for your information a chipboard floor usually gives a read of 6% so 2.5% in concrete is rare and in fact I have never come across this on my meter and I fit floors for a living.

Which meter are you using???

Finally I already recommended the DPM to be used as a seperate sheet rather than the underlay with integrated DPM (for obvios reasons as stated)

WoodYouLike said:
floorman said:
Hi

However, you will need to check the moisture of the sub floor using a moisture meter first. If the reading is above 12% you should reconsider laying the floor.

Hi floorman.
12% moist in concrete? That's wet, very wet. This has to be below 2,1%

And, as other have mentioned, always use a DPM (either with a 2-1 product or separate) on concrete flooring.
Most Melamine Laminates are not very suitable for kitchens.

floorman said:
You're obviously not familiar with a miosture meter then? 12% WME on the Protimeter is an average reading. A high reading is from 16 upwards. And for your information a chipboard floor usually gives a read of 6% so 2.5% in concrete is rare and in fact I have never come across this on my meter and I fit floors for a living.

Which meter are you using???

We are using Brookhuis Micro-electronics FME moisture meter (weekly ;) )
Maximum moist reading with this approved meter for safe installation: concrete/screed max 2,1%

Most really be a difference in meters (or the way the produce the figures). If you check most installation guids on moist in subfloors: max 2,5% in
concrete/screed. See here for brand names installing guides.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back