Damp from Blocked Drain?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to purchase a Lease on a property which is a ground floor flat but when I viewed it I noticed wallpaper had peeled in the bottom corner up to about 18 inches and there was black (dry) residue on the paper. The property has been empty for about a year now. Immediately outside this area there is a downpipe from the guttering and it is going into the drain and is not broken. My question is: could it be a collapsed or blocked drain that would cause this or worse scenario it’s the DPC which has breached?

Sponsored Links
Really not possible to be definitive, especially from a description.

You could informally ask through the agents, the freeholder of the block should also have records of work done, there might be a history.

My guess, as a DIYER, is penetrating damp from the down pipe/top gutter which has saturated the wall at the base over the years. Could equally be from a blocked drain, or a both. You should be able to identify the dpc relative to the ground and that could also give a clue as to the source

Bear in mind what you are looking at, might be after it's been "repaired".

Blup

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back