Damp from outside wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have now received a report regarding a damp issue from a chartered building surveyor. I have had considerable damp coming into my hallway from my outside wall. In the surveyor's summary it states Quote 'There is no radiator into the entrance of my home so the temperature in this area will be cooler in winter months. This will also be exacerabted by cold air leaking around the front door. The warm air in the flat will also descend as it cools & in this colder lobby area condensation will be a potential problem & a likely contributor to the long term plaster damage on the flank wall.Unquote.
I have now draft proofed the fron door but there is no room to consider fitting a radiator.
Last year my neighbour placed turf that butted up to the outside wall which he was asked to remove. He then hacked off some of the rendering to the outside wall without permission & has placed decking against the wall along with a gazebo.
The erection of a high fence by my neighbour also reduces any sunlight to the wall.

The surveyor has stated that in his opinion that the removal of the flank wall,or the previous laying of turf have not had a material affect on the wall, externally or internally- suspecting that it is more likely that these actions have served to highlight the presence of damp that may have not been seen but not appreciated over the long period of my ownership (30yrs).
Surveyor recommends lowering the ground level against the outside wall to a min of 150mm below the DPC-which would include my neighbour moving his sundeck's plinth away from the wal so that it does not bridge the DPC.
Whilst I appreciate the surveyor's report & will go ahead & make the necessary repairs- the damp coming into my inside wall over the past year has been extreme! Mainly in the adajent area where the rendering has been hacked off & decking placed insitu as it is not a party wall.
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated as to whether my neighbour could be politely asked to pay some of the costs to rectify the damp.
Many Thanks
Carrie

Sponsored Links
I'm confused with all this mention of removal of flank walls, your internal walls, not a party wall and whether its penetrating damp or condensation damp.

Post a picture of the problem area, from inside and out

And what is the actual question?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back