Damp Garage floor ~ RUST

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Garage was built approx 1930 (has poured floor). It is extremely damp, often "wet" on floor. Has a large (18") drain in center for inside washing, common for period. Everything rusts. all wood construction. Floor has been painted as well, but on damp or rainy days, wet!!!!

Sponsored Links
If it's not coming through the roof, then you either have a problem with the drain, or the damp proofing under the slab has either failed or non-existant.

This would be better in the building section of the forum, where you may get a more expert diagnosis.

Sponsored Links
Isn`t NY a humid weather area of USA :confused: I`d reckon it`s air humidity - and from the few American films I`ve seen - I seem to recall they use the air con a lot in some cities - The answers you`ll get here are more like our Brit " Carry On " Films ;)

You cannot do anything about the climate conditions that cause the damp which is damp warm air hitting a cold garage floor. The problem is somebody has painted the concrete floor and sealed it which doesn't allow the condensate to disperse or not form. I have advised others against painting garage floors unless they have an insulating barrier under it. I even experience this effect with a sheet vinyl in my garage but its not a problem. The only thing you can do now is to provide a barrier between the air and the floor. An old carpet does that well but may not be suitable but it will illustrate the point.
Also, if the floor had been laid without a damp proof membrane then laying a material on it that does not breath, could possibly cause dampness.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back