Funny really, as my parents house was built in 1985, there's no extractor fans, and they've never had mould issues. No vents on windows either. Maybe my parents just mop a lot and heat it all the time.

Sponsored Links
It's not impossible for black mould to grow on other types of damp but it particularly enjoys pure water so 85% of the time it is condensation. For first floor ceilings you should check insulation in the void above. Make sure it is continuous. As JohnD has outlined, control of internal environment is important to avoid excessive moisture building up. You could also consider structural insulation of walls or positive input ventilation. Look up Drimaster

Sponsored Links
It's not impossible for black mould to grow on other types of damp but it particularly enjoys pure water so 85% of the time it is condensation. For first floor ceilings you should check insulation in the void above. Make sure it is continuous. As JohnD has outlined, control of internal environment is important to avoid excessive moisture building up. You could also consider structural insulation of walls or positive input ventilation. Look up Drimaster

As of today I have noticed rat droppings in the loft space above, got the council coming in a week but reckon they could've made holes in the insulation making it not continuous and therefore causing condensation?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back