damp garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a detached garage, made from single skin block work which is rendered on the outside. There is a water tight corregated tin roof fitted over the top of wooden beams and half inch ply, with guttering all round. The walls have a DPC at floor level.

Although there's no obvious damp in the garage, The problem I have is that anything left in there - e.g. a card board box - tends to go soggy over time. A clue to the cause is that if I leave a piece of carpet or a tool box on the floor for any length of time, then a damp/wet patch forms under said item. I suspect there's no DPM under the concrete floor.

There's a good amount of ventilation under the eves, so I don't think that that's a problem, unless I should have some lower level air bricks to get some flow at floor level?

I happen to have a huge DPM and an old tongue and groove laminate floor. I was considering laying the DPM, then the laminate floor. Would this help?

What about sealing the floor with PVA then £50 of floor paint?

Thanks,

Gary

Sponsored Links
Tape a square of polythene to the floor if moisture collects under it ,its coming through the floor.Can the drainage around the base be improved .

pva is not an effective sealant against damp. it is a water based wood glue that happens to have the right cohesive properties to act as a medium between painted surfaces and water based plasters.

do not paint it on the floor, it will be about as durable as a rice pudding skin. :!:

it can help deal with dust, but thats about it.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back