Damp in internal walls. Top floor flat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I live in a top floor flat which was newly built around 12 years ago. Over the last couple of months, the skirting boards on a couple of internal walls have started to bow away from the walls. Then in the last couple of weeks, small stains have appeared in a couple of places above the skirting.
There's no warping or staining to the engineered wood floor next to the skirting but there are radiators nearby. No evidence of water coming from above either. I'm assuming the walls are stud rather than solid.
On one internal wall it's happened on both sides. On the other wall where it's happened I can only see one side as the kitchen is fitted to the other side.
The pipes to the radiators seem to chase into the walls rather than go into the floor. There's no loss of pressure to the boiler.
I suppose my question is does anyone know how new flats are built in terms of pipework into internal walls and what happens if these pipes leak ? Does it result in warped skirting and staining ? Could it be condensation on the pipes as the heating has been off ? But where would the moist air come from ?
Could there be any other explaination for this before I remove the skirting and start slicing the wall up ?
Thanks in advance
Jimmy

Attachments

• IMG-20200920-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20200920-WA0001.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG-20200920-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20200920-WA0002.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG-20200920-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20200920-WA0003.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 209
Sponsored Links
I am no expert but I can’t see how you are going to be able to tell where the water damage is coming from unless you look under the hood?

One of those skirts is already making its own way off the wall so perhaps you could remove it carefully and then once you’ve had a look, you could glue it back on? It looks like an MDF skirt so it should just glue back on pretty easily.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back