Mould Growing on top and side of newly fitted MDF Skirting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had an extension built over the winter months. The builders fitted MDF skirting and soon after they fitted the skirting I noticed that mould was growing on the top and sides. The walls were dry prior to them fitting the skirting. I have cleaned them with domestos, caulked the joints and repainted with gloss but now after a couple of months it is all happening again. Can anyone sugest what i can do. I have central heating pipes running along the same wall below the skirting so do not think it should be damp. Would appreciate any suggstions.

Sponsored Links
the wall is wet. There is a good chance a pipe is leaking. Take off the skirting and look at the wall behind.

If the damp is from new plaster or concrete, or water during construction, it will dry out if exposed to the air. If not, you can sometimes tell from the pattern of damp where it is coming from.

I hope you have not got jointed pipes buried in a concrete floor.

mould was growing on the top and sides.

That's not really a good enough description to comment on

MDF is mould prone due to the glue used. But do you mean the actual skirting or the wall, and it is all around the extension or what? Wallpaper paste will also feed mould

A leaking pipe would tend to show other stains and salts along with pressure drop at the boiler. Plus it may be localised. Condensation would be in certain places

The wall construction would determine what the likely cause was or if its just drying out

Thank you John and Woody for reply. I am sure that there is no water leak as the mould is on the length of the skirting in the new extension mostly on the external walls. The walls were built about 3 months before the skirting was fitted and the floor was also laid about 2 months before. I recall there was quite a bit of condensation in the rooms but this later disappeared. I am just wondering if the MDF was already contaminated prior to fitting? Do you think there is something I can do apart from taking it off?

Sponsored Links
I currently have the same problem. I had my lounge refurbished 3 months ago - amongst other works we blocked a double doorway leading into the dining room and replaced a pair of french doors with a window. Pine skirting boards were replaced with MDF.

About 2 weeks ago I noticed a white and green mould (mostly fluffy white) growing around and behind the skirting where we've had new blockwork and plaster. I'm not an expert but I'm guessing the walls hadn't fully dried out although they were surface dry when the skirting was fitted. The reduced ventilation in the room may also be playing a part.

I plan to remove and replace the skirting (with real wood) clean and dry affected walls and paint with an anti mould paint. I'll probably add an airbrick to help with ventilation.

I hope you were able to solve your problem bibi.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back