Damp in solid stone wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, hoping someone can offer me some advice. I recently purchased an old solid stone cottage slate to be precise. On the rear of the property is an extention built 40 years ago. Therefore what was an external stone wall is now an internal stone wall. This was originally covered in concrete render and still is. It was then covered in gympsum plaster and painted. This has since pealed off and some of the concrete has turned to dust. I have chipped away the loose stuff but would never remove all the concrete. If i leave it to dry can I apply lime putty over it to paint over or reapply plaster? Little unsure on how to treat this. To more the other side of the wall is of traditional construction so lime putty and lime wash. Photo added for reference. Thanks in advance, Mark.

Attachments

• IMG_2082.JPG
    IMG_2082.JPG
    125.1 KB · Views: 171
Sponsored Links
The pic shows a wall and skirting that seem to be affected by rising damp.
Why not remove the skirting, & hack off some of the render back to the stone - to just above the clearly seen "tide mark".
And then post pics - a close up, and a larger context pic showing the (is it?) chimney breast on the left?

Why not also post a pic of the other side of the wall showing a larger context and a close up detail of the wall near the floor?

Are either of the floors solid? If yes, does the solid floor have a membrane (DPM)?
Are any sections of wall dot & dabbed?
Has any kind of tanking been previously applied in the cottage?

How do you know that the render is a putty plaster?

FWIW: there is no "concrete" render - its typically sand & cement/lime.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply, apologies yes it isn't concrete more a mixture that contains cement. The reason I haven't removed it is because it is really hard going and tough so although I'd like to remove it so that I can treat the wall and apply a lime putty/mortar mix instead, I think I'd be there for weeks trying to hack it all off. I wondered if I could use a workaround, the reason I ask is, is because this is a single story extention so upstairs is a flat roof where the wall continues with a cement rendering on it.
Yes I intend to remove the skirting too, but the chimney Brest to the left is an add on made from breezeblock or something similar and covered in cement render again. With the original stone wall behind it so it would be blocking in any damp in that wall.
In regards to the other side of the wall this would be pretty difficult to get to, the opposite room was a shop for 100 years so the wall has been covered with a wooden stud wall and some of the wall is covered with a stair case and boxed in so I'd have to remove all this wood to gain sight of the wall. One would assume that this wall is of original construction given that this side is the original cottage.

Thanks, Mark

Sponsored Links
OP,
You can hire a small corded breaker from HSS for instance for about £15 -£24 per day.
The chisel will remove any render in minutes.

With the breaker on site why not then take off the render up to the elec. surface outlet height at least.
You could also take the opportunity to channel in the cable, and sink a flush box.

There's no "workaround" available.

Dont go opening up the other side of the wall - just have a close look and sniff for damp.
Has the chimney flue been used for a solid fuel open fire?

Some previous questions are still outstanding?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back