Damp issue help required

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

We've moved some furniture around in out back room and found that the carpet underneath was rotting. I've lifted it up and found that there's a section of carpet edging strip that's disintegrated into a dust. Is this dry rot?

The floor boards underneath seem OK, so hopefully I have found it before it's done too much damage.

I'm wondering if the walls are letting in moisture or whether it could be caused by years of poor ventilation in that room and not getting enough heating in there.

The house has a void underneath the floorboards. On the outside of the wall, there is a downpipe from the guttering about 2m along, so I will inspect that later when I have access from my neighbour.

Does anyone have any tips to help me resolve this please?

Sponsored Links
Pic 3 looks a bit woodwormy but is so fuzzy could just be rot.
Does it smell

Yes, definitely worm. It's strange how they can decimate one bit of wood and leave another bit alone.

Sponsored Links
strange how they can decimate one bit of wood and leave another bit alone
Yeah, its bizarre. I live in an old house. Original picture rails held their shape do to a century of gloss paints holding them together. Some crumbled on removal - just a honeycomb of frass.

Original tongue and groove "wall" boxing of understairs and pantry was practically balsawood when I removed it. The staircase, floorboards, 1st floor joists no sign. I have had all the floors up for various reasons (this was one of them) and pleasantly surprised the worm kept to defined parts.

Small signs in the wc and bathroom floor boards where there was consistent damp from wc condensation etc. Replaced as needed.

Apparently they like damp dead wood.

Odd little beasties. Apparently a delicacy in some countries.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back