Damp issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

The back of my house has a damp problem as the yard out the back is built up slightly above floor level by about 2 foot. I am currently digging this out as I need to replace the drainage system. While I have it dug out I was wondering if there is anything I could do to try and protect the area that will have earth put back against it when the drains are done. I have heard of Tanking slurry and was thinking of rendering some of this against the section that will be eventually covered. Does anyone know if this is a good idea or if it could cause further problems internally with condensation etc. My other thought was to get some tanking and put it against the wall to protect it from the damp. I am open to any ideas as they are probably way better than mine!

Many Thanks
Davy

Sponsored Links
Hi, you say the ground level outside is 2 foot higher than your floor level...?
You really need to get that ground level down. When you dig down for your drainage check out where your damp proof course is. Your ground level needs to be 150mm/6inches below this.

Any chance of you getting a few photos into this thread ?

Hi,

The house is about 200 yr old and has no damp cause at all. If I can avoid digging further down I would like to as I would really have to drop a whole yard. My digital camera is broken at the minute but if I can borrow one I will upload some photos. Is there any other alternatives apart from digging right down?

Sponsored Links
Solid brickwork will be even worse than cavity brickwork in this sort of situation.
I would dig a couple of foot down and a couple foot out and build a small retaining wall so that all you take out was enough to let the lower part of your house to breath and dry out.

This is what i would do. Someone else may have another suggestion when they read this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back