Damp joist why and what can I do about it?

Damp ?:LOL:
That’s where the timbers were treated before installation.
Class:LOL:

Sponsored Links
F181854D-7A45-495B-BE1A-E8748961EB33.jpeg

damp? no.

Damp ?:LOL:
That’s where the timbers were treated before installation.
Class:LOL:
Treated on site in 1910?

Endgrain capillarity does not mean the penetration is even. Plus there is no evidence that damp is coming up, so the bottom of joists may well remain drier.

Treated on site in 1910?

Endgrain capillarity does not mean the penetration is even. Plus there is no evidence that damp is coming up, so the bottom of joists may well remain drier.
sure he said ‘I have a 1970’s house’
Can’t think why they’d have built it using 60 year old timbers.

Sponsored Links
Could a leak in/over a wall saturate all the bricks, with the damp course stopping the water getting to the ground? That could explain it ... water pooling above the DPC ...

Just throwing an idea in. :)

IIRC, back in 1970, they used to fill the cavity up to DPC level with concrete. To resist crushing of the wall by ground pressure, I think.

IIRC, back in 1970, they used to fill the cavity up to DPC level with concrete. To resist crushing of the wall by ground pressure, I think.
no chance . I refuse to believe mankind is actually that stupid. Although they did see fit to fill walls with wool:LOL:. So , show us a picture.

Could a leak in/over a wall saturate all the bricks, with the damp course stopping the water getting to the ground? That could explain it ... water pooling above the DPC ...

Just throwing an idea in. :)

very rarely, a pipe, perhaps an overflow, can leak inside a cavity.

So you think you can tell........a green field from a cold steel rail.....rotting wood from creosote. Can you tell, tell ? tell us, tell

I'm with Godwas on this one. My house is identical and its preservation fluid.

Looks like wood preserver to me. 20 quid spent on a damp metre would answer it for sure.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back