Damp Kitchen Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I am clueless on what it could be etc, but i have bought a 1900's mid terraced property that has really bad damp on the back wall of the kitchen which is the exterior wall and with what i can only describe as water droplets on the inside of the exterior wall thats kitchen facing, if that makes sense, i have taken all plaster and cement mix off the wall and found a few holes were the sink pipe and brick thats not there, will replace that but wondering what other solutions is there to solve this as it seems to be a previous problem aswell??

thanks to anyone that can help

clueless individual and lost lol

Sponsored Links
Well if it is a solid wall then you need to look at the the pointing on the outside and rising damp is common on old property's. Are you sure there are no leaking pipes

Sponsored Links
Well can get the pointing sorted easy ... Yea were the building joins next door the gutter is overlapped n drips down the left hand side wall if you look from the outside but the down pipes look all intact.. There's a hole were the sink drain pipe is which I'll fill with mortar etc ..air bricks any good?? How you resolve rising damp?? I'm supposedly getting injection and some paste on the wall??

Thanks and sorry for my ignorance

Well its probably more than one thing contributing to your damp if you have holes in the wall then condensation will occur also especially on cold nights.

Well shall fill the holes in for obvious reasons... As I say when I've ripped the sink and all units out on this wall it was very wet ..

Hi All,

New to this site and have also purchased a mid 1920s-30s property and have discovered what looks like damp on the kitchen wall overlooking the garden.

I think I have identified the issue too! There is an overflow tank containing a shower pump that has always been constantly leaking and dripping out onto the conservatory which in turns run down to the gutter and drips straight off on to the paving stones / patio right in front of the kitchen wall! No proper drainage system at all!

I have a temporary gutter in place but thought I would post some pictures for some feedback! Does it look serious? Should I try and get under there and strip back the wall?

I am a complete novice and just getting into this ....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back