damp/mold

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,
just stripped a room, there seems to be some damp/mold in 1 corner, is there any simple way to stop this coming back? maybe paint it or something before i redecorate?

thanks

Sponsored Links
You can kill the spores with a mild bleach solution or fungicidal wash but having mould in the area you describe is often down to condensation. Improving the airflow to that particular area (possibly just by moving any furniture away from the wall) should help keep the mould away.

Many anti mould/anti damp paints are available but the source needs to be eliminated before using them.

I used warmaline polystyrene wall veneer from b&q, I didn't buy the warmaline adhesive, I used good old fashioned PVA put it on with a roller onto the wall and stuck the veneer onto it, after a couple of pieces got used to handling it and it was easy. I found it much easier to wall paper onto the veneer no air bubbles. six months on, walls much warmer to touch than other walls in house and no damp or mould patches.

hi, thanks for the comments, when i stripped the room i found a vent had been taken out and blocked up, hopefully thats the source of the problem. im going to put a vent back in.

Sponsored Links
Yeah the vent sounds like the source of the problem. I would make sure that when you remove the mould that it is fully gone as if you leave a little bit it can start to grow again.

This article is a good quick read about damp in winter which makes some good points:

Why Damp Gets Worse In Winter

Never even thought leaving clothes out on the radiator to dry could cause damp problems.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back