Damp - Mostly interior partition wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I'm new so hope this is in the right area.

I have just taken possession of a rather tired 1930s end terrace that has a damp problem, apparently worse than picked up by the survey.

A little background: The house has a cavity wall with engineering brick DPC and a good roof. Downstairs is mostly a suspended floor above a 3ft void, there's standing water beneath this but only a couple of inches, nowhere near to the DPC.

I'm pumping that out and aim to get it dry of liquid water at least by lowering the pump into a sump and chasing drainage channels to clear puddles. There's reasonable ventilation, 2 double height and at least one one single height air-brick in each of the front and rear walls. It will have been wet for decades and the damp has risen to the DPC. The lack of rot in the floor suggests it's not saturated and condensing normally at floor level above the DPC. I have access to this space at present.

The worst of the damp is in an interior wall between the lounge and the hall. This is wet through on the lounge side, dry to the touch on the hall side thought the lower section is still hidden under T&G wood. The lounge has a gas heater (and no obvious ventilation besides drafts) I'm told the previous occupants used this room as their living space so this could just be long term condensation. The heater is getting scrapped.

This wall has itself (presumably by being cold due to evaporation - open to other ideas) caused damp in the upstairs floor. Mostly this is in the boards parallel to and in the region of the wall but a couple of joists seem to be wicking water too. Obviously I'll have to check the timber carefully for rot where it's got wet in both floors. Upstairs ventilation is not what it once was but the room with the damp floor does have a grate into the old chimney that wasn't entirely blocked.

<edit> I forgot to say the damp wall is single thickness brick, the plaster has been repaired (badly) on the damp side and the wall terminates at the ceiling, it does not continue into the room above. A heating pipe pair runs along above the wall (in joist top notches) but they appear to be sound.

There are lots of little bodge repairs dotted about so I'm guessing this will be similar. I suppose I'm after ideas as to what to look for besides the obvious, lack of DPC, bridging of it etc.

Sorry for the essay.

Sponsored Links
Having read through lots of threads on here and information elsewhere I went back to look at it and a dig in the plaster last night and I'm if anything more puzzled.

The damp wall is apparently the result of years of botched repairs and modifications: Waterproof paint below floor and DPC level presumably to keep the water out but actually just preventing evaporation and raising the height of saturation. Suspicious red bricks in an otherwise black brick DPC. Inch thick Thistle plaster patch slapped on with no base layer or waterproofing, it also rests on the (now damp) floor boards. The old skirting, rotten and infested with wood worm had been replaced using silicone sealant. All fixable.

The floor upstairs is more of a mystery. The damp is in a very peculiar pattern, it's a narrow strip of damp floorboards, about a foot wide that appears to follow a natural U shaped path from the toilet door (toilet not bathroom) through the bedroom door and around where the bed would have been. It stops abruptly at the toilet door threshold (maybe there was lino?) The path follows a natural human path rather than exactly tracing joists or boards. It's been wet a long time, the boards are saturated, nails are rusted through and it stinks like cat pee. However, the joists below seem dry and sound.

Has anyone seen anything like this before?

My two thoughts are it's where humid air above meets cold floor, cooled by drafts over the cold damp brick walls below. Or something horrible, years of someone moving a leaky commode along the same path (previous owner had some health/mobility problem). It very much looks like a lot of foot-fall on wet carpet, the backing has stuck to the boards in places. I'm open to other thoughts, neither makes much sense.

I would bet my house on the upstairs issue being caused by an elderly person with poor bladder control, the pattern of where it is points solely at this.

Rip out the affected floorboards and get rid of them, replace with new boards or ply the whole area and problem solved.

Sponsored Links
That's definitely the source and solution I'm leaning towards I just can't quite believe it got so bad if so!

I just want to be sure I understand the problem before I do the repair it as it'll hide for years under ply/osb if I'm wrong and it is coming from below.

jk

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back