Recurrent Damp Problems on external brick wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I hope someone with good "Damp" knowledge might be able to help?

I live in a 1928 Semi Detached house. This has cavity walls with some of the 1980's failed poly beading insulatioon applied. I say some as quite a lot has come out over the years.

We have a localised "damp" or wet walls after it has rained. It really only affects 2 lower level walls. This is probably 6 or more inches and above of the DPC. The gutters are fine and nothing appears to be a problem further above or even at the DPC level.

It really is only a problem when it rains, the walls then look wet, but appear after the sun has been on them for several hours to dry out.

Also when it rains, we get a terrible damp musty smell in the hallway which pervades the hall atmosphere. Quite unpleasnt.

This has been a problem since we moved in in 2004. There are NO leaking pipes or drains closeby and I'm at a loss as to what it can be.

FYI, when we first moved in some numpty had blocked up the airbricks in that area and these were replaced about 2yrs ago and fitted with cavity liners to stop the beads coming through. There had obviously been a problem in this corner for a while as the joists in that corner and an adjoining inner wall has a damp issue, but since sorting out the airbrick issue this seems to have resolved itself.

Underneath the joists is a "dirt" floor which does smell musty.

Any idea what might be causing this. I've dug a trench down against this wall and removed the paving and soil which was still below the DPC to see if anything obvious was there, but nothing. Just damp bricks below the DPC as you might expect. The earth i removed had that similar smell though as we get in the hall when it rains.

Would bituminous pain below the DPC and a "French" Drain help do you think?

PLEASE HELP!!! :) - Thx Ross

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back