Damp plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My old house had one damp interior wall - no dpc- so I got a bricky to replace all the wall below floor level in engineering brick and with a modern DPC. Some years later I now find the wall is damp again to bout 400mm above the floor level. What could be causing this?

Sponsored Links
It would help if you described the wall construction, and the rooms/area either side of the wall.

If you have a physical DPC, then the only way moisture can get up is if the DPC is broken or it is bridged.

The alternatives are a leaking service pipe, or depending on the wall materials and location, condensation

Hi

The wall is an interior wall, about 5 metre s long made of single brick. There is no plumbing above floor level. The brickie knocked away the brickwork below floor level down to sub-floor ground level, a distance of about a metre and built up in engineeering brick with a dpc about half way up.

elmsoft

Then its one of these

the DPC is broken

the DPC it is bridged

condensation

A fourth possibility is some soluble/hygroscopic salts deposited by the previous instance of damp, but this would have presented further moisture much sooner

Sponsored Links
I would hope that there is no 'ground level' anywhere near an internal wall :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back