Damp on bottom of newly painted wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Just moved into a new house and decorating our bedroom. Prior to removing existing wallpaper there was no sign of damp on wallpaper and neither was there anything on the plaster once wallpaper had been removed.

New lining paper was hung and after a few days painted. The following morning I noticed that there were some small areas of damp at the bottom of the wall. The damp seems to extend from around the top of the skirting up about to 100mm (max) along about a third of the length of the wall (in patches of no more than 700mm long).

The wall is one of 2 outside walls in the bedroom. The other shows no sign of this. I first noticed it two days back but the patches don't seem to have grown since then.

For decoration I have removed the radiator and lifted the carpet. There is no sign of damp on the floorboards below the skirting. There has been no rain and not particularly cold (in fact it has been milder in the last few days).

I have decorated plenty of rooms in the past but never come across anything like this. I don't think it is rising damp as there was no sign of it prior to decoration.

I thought it may be rising damp that is being effected by the lack of heating in the room but then before decoration the house had been empty for some time with heating switched off.

Does anyone have any idea what this may be?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Sponsored Links
Hello Mike

It seems that there was some left over paste on the new lining paper before painting.
If there was no sign of damp previously it is quite unlikely having damp problems.
Check whether the stain mark is wet or not, and if it`s dry, apply zinsser or BIN primer and touch up with emulsion
if it`s a deeper color you will have to recoat the whole wall

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back