Damp on brand new ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had asbestos in our kitchen ceiling, so had it torn down and replaced.
On the Tuesday they plastered it and on the Friday it was painted.

All looked fine until three weeks later (today) I noticed the damp patches. One is very long about 10x2" and either side there are two small dots. They're symmetrical in distance from the bigger damp area.

The bathroom is above and has under floor heating, but we've never had a problem with it.

Does anyone have any ideas why they could have appeared? I'm really hoping it's not a leak.

Sponsored Links
This is a photo...

Attachments

• IMG_7412.png
    IMG_7412.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 161
Hi Megan,

I'm a newbie when it comes to this stuff, but have just had a lot of plastering and touchups done, including some ceiling plastering. In my case, where the ceiling meets there was more plaster added between the joints (they were a bit rough). Those bits took longer to dry in my case. Much longer than 3 days, took well over a week. Other plastering that needed bonding etc. is still drying in places weeks later and not yet ready to paint. So really just a guess, but perhaps the plastering wasn't completely dry first? That looks like damp from some sort of seam in any case.

Hope you have no leak in the bathroom. Is a bit odd that it only appeared 3 weeks later. I'm sure some of the more experienced folk here will have better suggestions. I'm learning water is a pain in the butt!

Baps.

It's a leak, coming through the joint between two sheets of plasterboard, hence the shape. The dots will be nail-holes. Water can run along on top of plasterboard until it finds a hole, so the leak might not be directly above the mark.

Ceiling dry out very fast when replastered, much faster than walls, as they are so thin and have air on both sides.

I'd start by taking off the bath panel. Often the bath overflow leaks, or the waste especially if it is the pop-up type rather than a plug.

The fixing nails ought to have gone into joists, and not a pipe, but you never know.

Sponsored Links
There you go, I'd listen to John rather than my waffle. :p

Baps.

John is spot on ! Its defo a leak ! Check to see if they have caught a pipe with a screw when renewing the ceiling ! Under the bath is the first place to look.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back