damp on celings and hairline cracks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
could anyone please help me, how do you treat damp on celings? there was a leak from up stairs and the downstairs room is showing signs of damp? what steraliser, barrier cream and fungaside do i need. and please could you explain step by step on what to do. also on the celing is hairline cracks...is there any point in filling these in with fine surface filler or should i just flood them with paint. thanks x

Sponsored Links
Let your ceiling dry out,, then as long as it has not suffered any damage, ( loose plaster,, bowed or perished plasterboard), paint over the water stained areas with white "oil based undercoat".
For the cracks, if they're just small ones, just rake them out and fill them with a flexible filler, but if they're on the bigger side,, you'll need to tape them with fibre joint tape, cover them over with a couple of coats of Easifill, or readymix joint finish,, let it dry, sand it down, then paint over the whole ceiling with emulsion as usual.

Or ask a bloke on here (Richard C) about lining paper. He's an expert and a strong advocate.

Sponsored Links
Or ask a bloke on here (Richard C) about lining paper. He's an expert and a strong advocate.

I believe he loves,, errr,, loathes the stuff. :LOL:
:LOL: :LOL:
If the hairline cracks are on the board joints, odds on they will show through again unless re-tapped; once they crack, there bug9ered.

My visiting daughter flooded my own kitchen ceiling just a month after it had been completely refitted & the ceiling re-skimmed around 6 years ago. Water everywhere under the floor & pouring through the down light fittings; it dried out ok with the usual staining but every board joint cracked. Early days for me then but I tried filler & was not really surprised it didn’t work, I ended up raking, re-taping & skimming the whole lot again as it wasn’t much more work than blending in new tapes. New bathroom & loo fitted a few months later cured that problem & ceiling still looks perfect. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back