Damp on single brick interior wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been doing a bit of work on my house and last night I removed all the old wallpaper in my living room.

However on one wall I've noticed quite a bit of damp.
This is an interior wall that supports the stair case on the other side.
Below the staircase is a cavity that is used as storage space with a door in from the kitchen and then the outer wall which has a chemical damp course.

The cavity also has a butimen/asphalt DPM ontop about 2cm thick.

The damp doesn't run all the way along the interior wall, it only spans the distance of this section of the cavity, the next section is seperated by brickwork and is the rest of the cavity under the stairs.

So to summerise, coming into the house there is first an exterior cavity wall, an empty space under the stairs split into two by a single brick wall, then parrallel to the exterior wall an interior single brick wall that has signs of damp, but only on the section that has a cement floor and a asphalt dpm on top.

Either the section of wall has damp because of the cement floor and the wall has no Damp course and the other section doesn't have damp because it has not cement floor.

Or It's because the Cavity has always been used for the washing machine and being in such an enclosed space (Although it is vented to the outside) is causing damp on the interior wall.

I'm inclined to strip the plaster and look at getting a chemical DPC injected and relocate the Washing machine, I just hate doing more than is necessary as it's usually a waste of money and sometimes causes more problems than it solves.

It's either the washing machine, the cement floor next to a wall with no damp course or both.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back