Non standard construction?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
My brother bought a detached house recently but it always seems to be cold and damp. I'm very confused about the construction of the house. It's built on a hill so it's single story at the rear and at the front it has a cellar/workshop making the front two storey. The walls of the first level at the cellar seem to be a double thickness of brick on the external walls with a damp proof course showing at the roof of the cellar.

Above the cellar the main ground floor external walls appear to have a single thickness of what appears to be concrete block rendered on the outside with what I think is cement and finished with very fine pebbledash. The interior side of this wall seems to be coated with what looks like a tar based product. To this is attached the interior wooden frame with polystyrene backed plasterboard. I thought houses were meant to have a double layer of brick/block with a cavity in the middle. Any thoughts on this would be helpful.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sounds like it's been extended upwards at some stage, ideally it would be double skinned, but sounds like it was been tanked.

Sponsored Links
I checked this out and it hasn't been an add on. It was all built at the same time. Any suggestions on what should be done to make this come under a standard build?

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back