Damp on single brick wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a room linked to my kitchen with 2 external single brick walls .. the room has been plastered and there is an air vent in the wall but these 2 walls still get wet (due to Condensation I think ) and now the room smells "stale" and mould has started to appear on the walls.

Will an extractor fan solve this ? Or do I need to apply some sort of special paint ??
Would greatly appreciate any advice as I'm just about to clear the room out tomorrow and haven't a clue what to do.

Sponsored Links
R0cky hi.

Walls such as you describe, single brick are notorious for allowing driving rain to penetrate the wall.

There is no really easy or cheap fix, however what is the condition of the external surfaces of the walls?

Is there any form of heating in the affected room?

Is there any ventilation in the room, a window that can be opened perhaps?

As for the mould appearing, is it generally across the wall or in corners at high level near the ceiling?

Are there any roof rain water gutters leaking above the walls externally?

Ken.

Hi Ken
The walls externally seem OK although you can see on the walls where the rain seem to be coming down . Roof is flat roof and there seems to be no leaks . No form of heating in the room , there is a window which we open but have to close at night for obvious security reasons.
The mould seems to be spread about over the 2 walls mainly in the middle and above towards the ceilings.

Sponsored Links
Just thinking ... would an extractor fan with humidity sensor solve the problem ??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back