Damp patch around fanlight over door

If you've exhausted all water ingress sites on your side then surely it must be your neighbours side. Evidence supports it (dry your side, damp thier side, you've checked your side etc). Again, don't underestimate how far water can capillary along brick work, pool, then travel again.
Is it your neighbours drain? Get up and offer to do some work for them, just enough to find the source.

Sponsored Links
This is the upstairs window (I can now see internally under that window to a certain extent as I cut the joists away to see the stone work in the wall. As you can see in image 2-3 the neighbours house is badly pointed and has growth in the stone work. And it’s always that side/corner it originates and where the water always ingress’ on my front door internally. This is what makes us think his house is the issue.

The hard thing to comprehend is how the water then gets across underneath my window. It’s just hard to imagine it can travel across like that.

Things I’ve done: gutters, felts support trays, checked window and frame, house repainted, roof is fine. I am even going to get the brickwork pointed asap to just to say it’s been one and eliminate it.

I’ve also sealed around that window, and under and over the concrete sill.

The neighbour has had to move out due to dry rot. And has even showed my how wet his front wall is STILL getting (and he’s doing work in there)
C59DF051-52BA-4B16-894C-3CB5E10A6E69.jpeg

Attachments

• 6E96949D-08AF-4A33-A9E6-06684F5EBBD6.jpeg
    6E96949D-08AF-4A33-A9E6-06684F5EBBD6.jpeg
    619.3 KB · Views: 27
  • 07992D36-06F0-462B-A063-0DFB83AC6833.jpeg
    07992D36-06F0-462B-A063-0DFB83AC6833.jpeg
    489.5 KB · Views: 26
The joint between the two gutters looks very unsatisfactory. Where is the downpipe?

The joint between the two gutters looks very unsatisfactory. Where is the downpipe?
He’s recently redone all of his ‍♂️ and the downpipe is on the end of his house. I will say, since redoing them he has had an improvement in his rain water coming off his house (before it literally ran over his house) but yes I do agree.

3 days ago he rendered inside his house and the render was noticeable wet, you could see water on it

Sponsored Links
Also, the upstairs window of mine, above it, doesn’t show any signs of damp or water ingress, and my loft is bone dry, hence why I don’t think it’s the gutters. My one next to his is capped off, his is separate

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back