Damp Patch in Corner- Suggestions?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in the ground floor flat of an old converted 3 story victorian property. Damp is thus an ongoing issue due the difficulty expense of looking after the property.

My main concern is a vertical patch that has appeared in the corner halfway up the wall( 3' in size not reaching the floor or ceiling)

It corresponds with the outside corner of the building. There was an old satelite dish on the wall just above the damp, i had this removed/ holes filled last week. The building has also been recently painted.

There could be a problem with inadequate over hang of the last few tiles (according to a roofer) directly above the damp on the roof, but this would be very expensive to fix due to the accesibility issues (and difficult to get the other flat owners on board too). He suspected water may be creeping under the tiles and down the cavity. The 2 other flats above have yet to see any damp in this area though.

So any 'stop gap' solutions ?

Fitting a mini extractor fan near the area?,
a vertical radiator there?

Any suggestions much appreciated

Sponsored Links
Roof problems are respocibilty of landlord.
There is no temp fix.
The dish [if out of line or dislodged]may have been directing rainfall onto wall?

rough caster i dont think it is lath and plaster no

foxhole, there is no landlord all flats are leasehold and we look after repairs oursleves, however there is probably not enough in the funds to do the roof just now, hence looking for temporary measures.

Sponsored Links
The damage will eventually affect all the flats and also their value, you cannot afford not to fix a roofing problem, insurance won't pay out if you fail to maintain the property correctly.

Yes Fox i know,

unfortunatley the people in the another flats are not as sensible as me, putting me in a slightly difficult situation until they get affected too.

Without seeing the external or roof, it is hard to say, but the evenness of this staining does suggest water penetration right at the top and in the corner of the wall, and running down.

If this is Victorian, then there will not be a cavity, and so the roof unlikely to be a source of this damp. Also, if the roof was the cause, then the flat above should show similar problems

If not the roof, then there may be a problem with the external wall directly external to the uppermost area of dampness - failed pointing or blown brick faces, but it would be quite evident

If this is water penetration, then there is no quick fix, or any fix, other than the sort the external wall or roof out

Thanks woody

the outside wall is rendered and has just been painted about 2 months ago, no visible signs of cracks etc

I'm hoping the water was coming in through the holes from the old satelite dish and that now these are filled it will gradually dry out

fingers crossed

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back