Damp patch in loft room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I need some help with a damp problem in the loft room.

This a chimney wall and as you can see from photo a damp patch has appeared on wall & ceiling edge. The rest of the loft room looks fine.

I have checked the roof and I can't see any damaged or loose tiles. The area looks damp, but when I touch it I can't feel any wetness. If it was from a leak I would expect to see water running down the wall. I think it may be caused by having no insulation in this part of the cavity. I know there isn't much cavity space between roof and this ceiling.

Any help to identify the problem and how it can be fixed would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

gwzeFjslzWpdYXaplt8IeciveeO9_xSVS69ZXb-JTv9gcurfHxGf4jJdeLmtx-HCdqTVpKSyd6amBSwlXvkq6fouPw-MrNuR9KG5b_DVVquXU-dCOTtxmBRszaqqikdJg7uvw1WUT-JX7naGq0ZvbRcFoNN-bPFbpnhIC8FkwqbtIz2qlVsejwv-GQ5aaZPFYMfm4Y5nt5b5GBBn9tM2v5iCKIsjESf__S96Q8eWcgX0MBRXVDSf_kbNWEoKuzml7DHEbztprFqFTwxpynIGW5JWQM-YfWYZIfhrAuPz49zlzpXPd9_JkP1VAJcc45yvojPpScLYoHamiO8ckAvh9aJJtrFAKBAfwdewtHE680UG4sxLq-q8NVCUCnRNpeSXFzwmVsiFcnERnrY3dbte8gD8YI5-5g2gatLoUxF8SBxFLH8T1I4ydl4LgHzkYmSSVO2hQHuIuv-V02wQY0G8DYPZKd8TLGu0TS5G_FzGHZXFVBNXomAY-qqMZXU_eqRqvxaJn-t_kr2416N5q0GZXR63sn1-Ql1R7WkbclMJ_xb9bx7DMg3ZNqMgP56pHYhgZopDM7DYL1PJcKa4bz9BLHg6aaG3vIKjUsvGKvt5cA=w1133-h637-no

Sponsored Links
we had the same issue that was cured when the chimney was swept ( we have a log fire). the rain was getting down the chimney making the soot wet which seeped through the chimney breast/ceiling.

Yes I also have a log fire. Interesting, I hadn't considered the wet soot. I'm not sure when the chimney was last swept. How often are you suppose to get the chimney swept? I guess it depends on usuage

ours wasnt swept for several years and buckets of wet soot came out. it was last swept a year ago and we have a slight stain appearing again. you could fit a rain cowl which should solve it permanently. Ive been told they should be swept twice a year to satisfy home insurance. not sure how true this is.

Sponsored Links
I live in a 3 storey house, so the chimney sweep will have his work cut out reaching the very top. I've never had a chimney swept before, what does it cost? Thanks

we paid £45.00 and it took him nearly 1/2 day! well worth it though as the fire burns much better after

Was he any good? If you're based nearby(Guildford, Surrey) perhaps you can send me his details in a private message.

Sounds like a messy job. I have cream coloured carpet by the fireplace in the living room

they put a shroud around the firepace so no mess- Im in Bristol

It's always best to have a rain cowl fitted to the chimney, as even without the soot getting wet, chimney aren't used as much as they used to be. Nowadays, they use fibreglass rods fitted to a drill, and a 3 storey property will only take a couple of minutes longer, and the whole job should be done in an hour. The chimney sweep web sites say twice a year, but once should be fine; no one sweeps during the winter, so doing it twice, means that you'd do it in the spring, and then again in the late autumn, even though you'd only have used it maybe half a dozen time between then.

Rain cowl sounds like a good idea, but quite high up as it's 3 storey victorian home and there's always risk of someone damaging tiles once they're up there.

So the damp patch should dry up after the wet soot has been removed by the chimney sweep. Is that right? I'll give that a go and feedback to you guys.

Thanks again both for the advice. I would never have guessed the damp patch is related to wet soot

Hi,

I need some help with a damp problem in the loft room.

This a chimney wall and as you can see from photo a damp patch has appeared on wall & ceiling edge. The rest of the loft room looks fine.

I have checked the roof and I can't see any damaged or loose tiles. The area looks damp, but when I touch it I can't feel any wetness. If it was from a leak I would expect to see water running down the wall. I think it may be caused by having no insulation in this part of the cavity. I know there isn't much cavity space between roof and this ceiling.

Any help to identify the problem and how it can be fixed would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Rain cowl to chimney.
If their is a flu fitted inside of chimney (metal ribbed) make sure this has not been fitted upside down.

Chimneys need to be able to breath, research ventilation of chimney. This is normally achieved with an air brick to stop condensation on the inside.

gwzeFjslzWpdYXaplt8IeciveeO9_xSVS69ZXb-JTv9gcurfHxGf4jJdeLmtx-HCdqTVpKSyd6amBSwlXvkq6fouPw-MrNuR9KG5b_DVVquXU-dCOTtxmBRszaqqikdJg7uvw1WUT-JX7naGq0ZvbRcFoNN-bPFbpnhIC8FkwqbtIz2qlVsejwv-GQ5aaZPFYMfm4Y5nt5b5GBBn9tM2v5iCKIsjESf__S96Q8eWcgX0MBRXVDSf_kbNWEoKuzml7DHEbztprFqFTwxpynIGW5JWQM-YfWYZIfhrAuPz49zlzpXPd9_JkP1VAJcc45yvojPpScLYoHamiO8ckAvh9aJJtrFAKBAfwdewtHE680UG4sxLq-q8NVCUCnRNpeSXFzwmVsiFcnERnrY3dbte8gD8YI5-5g2gatLoUxF8SBxFLH8T1I4ydl4LgHzkYmSSVO2hQHuIuv-V02wQY0G8DYPZKd8TLGu0TS5G_FzGHZXFVBNXomAY-qqMZXU_eqRqvxaJn-t_kr2416N5q0GZXR63sn1-Ql1R7WkbclMJ_xb9bx7DMg3ZNqMgP56pHYhgZopDM7DYL1PJcKa4bz9BLHg6aaG3vIKjUsvGKvt5cA=w1133-h637-no

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back