Damp patch now got mold

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Heya guys, know there's a fair few topics on this already, been looking through but this one is confusing to me.

Due to the recent deluge of rain and wind in the UK, I had some guttering overflowing in a corner and running down the wall. This got in through cracks/etc and seeped across the cavity to the inside, through to the plaster on my stairs creating some damp patches on the wall.
.. I've since cleared the guttering and haven't seen it overflowing since during my checks since.

I then attacked the damp-drying patch with mold killer spray, which brought the staining of the wall down (but not gone), did that a few times, and have seen it get less "damp"... But the other day I walked past and noticed a white crystalline structure over a few bits.

"Mold!" I thought, attacked it again with mold killer and wiped dry only to find the next day more in its place.

The last 3 days I've attacked it with vinegar, fire (lighter), and more mold killer (the HG one).

Now it's been 1.5 weeks since I fixed the guttering, and this is the first time I've had to battle mold since I generally make sure ventilation and moisture are controlled well.

So I am wondering if anyone can help with any pointers of what to do?

I do plan to repair the grouting/pointing on the outside wall and maybe paint it with water protection paint too, but i need the time and weather to get out there - but that would stop future dampness but wouldn't really help too well with the current growth..

I don't need to pull the plaster off the wall do I?

--
old486whizz

Sponsored Links
Just attaching some pictures to help - very small growth right now, but this is after 10 hours:

Attachments

• PXL_20231121_203657774.jpg
    PXL_20231121_203657774.jpg
    242.7 KB · Views: 24
  • PXL_20231121_203616361.jpg
    PXL_20231121_203616361.jpg
    447.5 KB · Views: 29
  • PXL_20231121_203603136.MP.jpg
    PXL_20231121_203603136.MP.jpg
    573.5 KB · Views: 34
  • PXL_20231121_203555831.jpg
    PXL_20231121_203555831.jpg
    222.8 KB · Views: 31
Not mould , it’s salts leeching out of the damp brickwork , just wipe off regularly , depending on how bad the leak was may take many months for this to stop .

Brush off dry. Do not use water. This will make it worse because as the water migrates to the surface and evaporate it brings out more minerals from the wall.

Sponsored Links
Ah right, I was wondering if it was salts.. I got a sneezing attack earlier while wiping witt vinegar and thought maybe it was spores as it called down when I moved into a room far away.

I will keep an eye on it over months, and have stuck a dehumidifier infront of it just to see how damp the air is over several hours.

Thanks for the info.

--
Old486whizz

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back