Damp patch on bedroom floor?

Sponsored Links
OK I took cap off and saw where it was leaking. I removed the screw and put in some PTFE tape and tightened it back up again. Do you think this will work?

Plz see pics

GetAttachmentThumbnail

GetAttachmentThumbnail

Possibly ,but I doubt it. The nut ,if tightened a little can sometimes seal the gland. If what you have done has not worked ,then removing the nut and winding PTFE tape around the spindle ,packing it down tightly ,then replacing the nut will probably seal it.
Fitting a new valve is the long term solution.

Thanks, the part at the end I did remove it full and it is a spindle. Which I then screwed the spindle back inside but as I was screwing the spindle back in I added the tape in and around the screw and tightned it. I had a hell of a time as the spanner just would not work well, just would not connect well with that screw for some reason also as the screw is soooo thin the spanner kept slipping off??? what type of spanner is the right one for that screw.

So you mean to add the tape around the spindle and then screw the spindle in?

You know if you drain dowen the central heating system, do you have to do something to all the rads in the house or just one rad?

I was worried when I removed the spindle water would come rushing out but it was just an empty wet area that the spindle goes into. Guess some water must get into that area over time and then leaks out?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The spindle is the shaft ,wrap tape around it tightly ,and push tape downward into the body. Then fit and tighten the hexagonal nut ,an adjustable spanner is ideal .
Draining systems will vary depending on your set up.

Thanks, so I am understanding you correctly. The object I removed consisted of a loose nut, well it was loose once I removed the part. It is this hexagon nut that is so thin that I had so much trouble with the adjustable spanner, just seemed that one end of the hexagon was flat against the spanner and the other end was not flat against the spanner so would have trouble turning it. Maybe its just I am no good at DIY.

OK so the part I removed consisted of a loose nut. Looked like this a little. SO you mean to wrap tape around the spindle part that screws in? that would mean it wouldnt screw in though as tape would block it right?
s-l640.jpg

Last edited:
Your spindle doesn't look anything like the pic .
You do not undo the spindle,just remove the nut. The spindle has a section without any thread.,that's what you wrap tape around and pack it downward. Then fit the nut.
Is that clear ?

OK yes that is clear now. You are refering to this part here where arrow is pointing too that I need to put the tape around and pack it downward when I remove it?

Sorry I havent taken a picture of the spindle when I removed it. when I removed the part it just looked like a bolt and when I put it back in I had to turn it around and around so it screwed in.

Attachments

• rad leak new 3.jpg
    rad leak new 3.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 53
Yes ,but further down. The section without any thread extends down several millimetres ,and the tape needs to be poked right down as far as it will go. Twisting the tape ,like a rope ,before wrapping it around the spindle can be easier than using it at its full width.
The spanners jaws need to be adjusted tightly onto the nut by the way.

OK I am getting there. Please can youyou tell me which by the numbers on the pic, the areas where I need to add the tape? thanks.

Attachments

• rad leak new 5.jpg
    rad leak new 5.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 50
Where you need the tape is not visible from the outside of the valve,it's inside the chrome body .when you take out the nut completely you will see down inside the chrome body ,and where the spindle disappears into the gland. That's where the PTFE tape needs to be .

OK thanks, yes when I take nut out totally, I can see inside the chrome body, just a empty area where and the area where the nut screws into. I can put my finger inside, which I did and it was a bit wet in there. Ill try and find a area where I can put the tape inside, but obviously can not wrap the tape around anything as its an inside area, but can poke the tape down inside where the nut goes into as far as the tape will go and then screw nut back in. Thanks.

Well thought you were right, just about to get to bed and noticed it was leaking AGAIN. The leak is coming from point 1 and/or 1b on the pic. Wish there was a way to turn the thing off as never use that rad. But guess nothing I can do about it, have to fix the leak.

So do you think in my case the leak is from either

a)
Leaking from the Radiator Gland

b.
Leaking from the Radiator Spindle

Attachments

• rad leak new 5.jpg
    rad leak new 5.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
I just had a tradesman out and he said that it needed a new valve fitted. He said the system will need to be drained via a radiator. Does he need to do something with all the radiators or check all the radiators in order to drain the system?
Will he need to turn water off also?
Thanks

I can not understand why some people are being rude when I was asking for help with how to repair something??? goodness me. Yes it took a long time for me to understand it all, some people learn fast and some do not, especially those with no DIY knowlege. Have some respect and patience, thankfully most did. Then I took the advise, tried to fix it, but did not work so called a tradesman. Simple.

Ohh and why mr B said why I would want to know if they need access to all radiators as its because alot of heavy furniture would need to be moved to get access to some of them and as being disabled it is very difficult. Thank you!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back