damp patch on ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I had a damp patch on the ceiling in my daughter's bedroom. The damage is now repaired and it is dry but when painted with matt white, the yellow stain quickly shows through. My Dad was told by a plumber that you can paint gloss over stains first and then matt and that will stop it coming through. Any thoughts on this? I am reluctant to do it in case the matt will not then take.

Thanks

Saz

Sponsored Links
hi yep that works although I would use an oil base undercoat as matt seems to stick to it better. For a proper finish I use a stain blocker instead, either in a spray form or out of the tin. Both dry quicker than the oil based solution and are availiable at all good stockists. Zinser and Damp Seal are both popular makes.

Id say the same...i dunno why people say gloss though...emulsion will have a job stickying to fresh gloss...its a bit of an old wifes tale..

However...oil based undercoat, as DSD says will do the business...just make sure you give it a couple of days to dry properly

Sponsored Links
Been posted a few days now and no-one has said "PVA it Mate" :eek:

Message must be getting through at last ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back