damp patch on wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a ground floor flat I have a 6" circular patch on an inside wall next to an exterior door. I think the wall is called a tunnel type door frame, so the door can only open 90 degrees. It is not damp to the touch, but cold. I had a surveyor tell me it is damp, but it I've had it for years and have had no growth on it. Outside next to the door there is drain pipes and an overflow. The survey has said on his report it needs immediate attention. Is there something I can do to rectify it? Or will I have to get experts in and how much will it cost? I have a friend who is a joiner who could replace the piece on wall or would that still show up on the survey as damp?

Sponsored Links
if it is a circular patch it is probaly a water leak or penetration, in the centre of the circle. please post photos inside and out.

Why not post pics of the inside circular mark, & pics showing the outside wall and any plumbing?
Does the room have Dot&Dab plasterboarding?

1653736467622.png
1653736539091.png

Sponsored Links
Thank you for your reply I had 2 photos on my phone, but i am away from the flat until later on today and will send a photos of the exterior when i get back. :)

What you show so far is a poor repair job where the repair material has been daubed on the reveal at low level.
The possibilities so far - no damp can be seen:
1. some, now dried, damp previously crossing the cavity because the door frame is set too far forward.
2. a bridged cavity.
3. some kind of device previously fixed to the wall.
4. the square edge skirting is a previous repair job.
5. no experts needed.

Last edited:
It's stud boards. There's no plumbing on that side of the wall that the door is adjacent to.

Attachments

• IMG_20220528_132151.jpg
    IMG_20220528_132151.jpg
    615.6 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_20220528_131950.jpg
    IMG_20220528_131950.jpg
    468.7 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_20220528_131931.jpg
    IMG_20220528_131931.jpg
    531.9 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_20220528_131921.jpg
    IMG_20220528_131921.jpg
    556 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_20220528_131839.jpg
    IMG_20220528_131839.jpg
    682.5 KB · Views: 47
Thats quick, thanks,

The wall is so much thicker than first appeared - the position of the door frame is fine.
Is the wall a cavity wall or a deep solid wall?
Is the floor solid?
By "plumbing" I meant the pipework you can now see on the outside in the new pics.
What purpose does the left hand 110mm pipe serve - Under the floor/soil does it pick your ground floor flat WC?
An overflow pipe stub can be seen - is it active or dormant?
Some of your render could do with hacking off & re-doing.
So the plasterboard is fixed to some kind of stud framing, presumably as a previous remedial treatment for what - penetrating damp maybe?
Can you pinpoint exactly where the outside leak/drip is coming form

Thank you for your reply.

The wall is cavity. The floor isn't solid. I have no idea with regards to the left hand 110mm pipe, could it vent as nothing is feeding into it above ground? The bottom overflow is dormant, top I'm not sure about.

Everything outside is dry, there's no leaks running down the outside wall, or anything bubbling up from blockages.

I suggested above that it could be venting an under floor or under the soil soil drainage pipe from a ground floor WC. Where is your flat WC located?
The ground level is too high - it should be a min of 150mm below the FFL.

There's no signs of air bricks below the FFL?
Render should stop short of ground contact by 150mm ( if possible) and end with plastic Bell Casts.

On the face of it, none of the above items, important though they are, has anything directly to do with your circular patch. But I suspect that there is some kind of connection.

I suggested above that it could be venting an under floor or under the soil soil drainage pipe from a ground floor WC. Where is your flat WC located?

There's no signs of air bricks below the FFL?

On the face of it, none of the above i has anything to do with your circular patch. But I suspect that there is some kind of connection.
It's a air /inlet for the under the soil soil drainage and will go @ high level to the manhole that the other soil drainage goes to(y)

Just to thank all again for your help. The builder found that the plasterboard had been put directly against the stone wall. He built a frame a attached fresh plaster board.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back