Damp patch when raining

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a damp patch coming through a stone rubble filled wall. It is on the gable wall in the lounge. This doesnt look like a rising damp issue and this section of the wall is on a steep hill which has a pavement running along side it.

So i think it likely to be the pointing. I have been to the house, but the pointing looks ok, but it is a little loose in places.

Any ideas on how to work out where the water enters from ?

Is it a case of repoint the whole area around the damp patch - so basically do the full wall which is 5m wide by 2m high as pointless doing the little patch area.

Sponsored Links
Check there is no overspill from the roof, gutters etc before raking out pointing.

Given us a pic or three, Trevor.....if the pointing is suspect, make sure it's done with lime mortar.
If stone porosity is an issue, Johnstones Waterseal does work well.
John :)

If i use the lime can i use the lime/cement mix you can buy from travis perkins. Or does it have to be pure lime ? This is the stuff.

http://www.travisperkins.co.uk/p/buxton-limebond-masonry-cement-20kg/886571/3893444

If i do the pointing first and i still have a problem, i suppose i treat the stone.

I dont know if it is the roof, but wouldn't you get a problem further up the wall if this was the case. I understand water could get into the rubble cavity from the roof, but it then has to travel 7.5m down to the point where this leak has occurred.

Enclosed is a photo of the front, but it is round the side where the problem is, where the van is. The patch is around the top of the wheelie bin you can just see poking round the corner and is about 1.5m in from that corners edge.

View media item 89215

Sponsored Links
I was told by the old timers that a bit of cement in the lime mix was the way to go....unfortunately they never mentioned the percentage - probably because it was guesswork anyway :p
Personally I'd give the Travis stuff a go - someone else will know better than me.
Yep, sort the pointing first, but this Waterseal stuff does work. It's silicone base, and soaks into the blocks where it stays, repelling water. For me, it actually reduced spalling, but that may have been coincidence.
John :)

OP,

Why not post a pic of the gable wall.

Can you post pics of any damp patches on the inside wall(s)?

In the area of the damp patches have you carefully examined your skirting for paint bubbling or decay? Why not examine your whole interior gable for damp signs?

AAMOI: The pic shows a CI down pipe , & at the bottom of the pipe where it enters the ground it appears rusty - FWIW, that pipe is possibly decayed under the paving flags (the flags appear to sag at what would be the pipe run).
But its doubtful that any drainage leaks would show as rising damp because your floor is set so high at the front elevation. Maybe damp shows in the cellar?

Is the guttering also CI?

Why not ask up & down the road to see how others pointed up?

The bin is never in that position usually. I will check the end of the gutter as it may be leaking and so rain spills down onto the gable.

I dont have a pic of the gable.

Oh. OK. Apologies, good call ref the possible splash off the bin, i didn't even see the bin. I've seen similar splash off boundary walls, steps & fire escapes.

OP, you re-pointing looks to be suspiciously proud like strap pointing. google pics of strap pointing.

The stuff from Travis is masonry cement, not really what you need.
Use NHL 3.5.

Ok i understand what strap pointing and this is how the house has been done. It may be a fault with the pointing, but i am not sure if the pointing in question is cement based or the old natural.

Can anyone say which lime i need to use. Do i go for natural hydralic lime from travis perkins or could i use the limebond stuff ?

If i remove the strap pointing, what is the best way to finish the new pointing? Any ideas on design ?

OP, before i go any further with the pointing issues, perhaps, if you dont mind, you would respond to the comments, & a couple of questions that i posted earlier at 7:15am?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back