Damp patches at bottom corner of sills

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

New to this forum. Can anyone help with identifying a possible cause of damp patches on the interior corners of my window cills? it is occurring in both front upstairs bedrooms (Pic 1 and 2). Also in one of the rooms the skirting on the opposite wall to window can be seen in the pic 3, is this an issue, and could it be related damp?

The sealant around the window on the exterior is patchy and in some places missing, could this be a cause? (Pic 4 and 5)

Thanks for any feedback!

Sponsored Links
Definitely rake out the old sealant and renew....there's all sorts of bodges there!
As for pic 3,it doesn't look damp - rather the skirting has fallen for some reason.....best lift the carpet for a closer look!
John :)

Is pic 5 the top or bottom of the frame? If bottom you should have some drainage holes sat on the frame, this allows any water out. If you haven't then its draining out of the bottom of the frame which could be a problem

Sponsored Links
Thanks John, I done as advised. Scraped out the old and replaced with a good helping of silicone around the entire frame. I'll just have to wait and see it that was the problem.

Alastair, what makes you think I have a condensation problem?

DHFrames, both pics of window are the bottom. The drainage holes can't be seen in them. Is this the hole you mean seen in the bottom right corner of pic?

Is there anything I can do in the mean time while waiting too see if it's been sorted? Should I just keep the heating on to dry it out?

Thanks for all the feedback guys!

Matt

Yep that's your drainage holes, pour a bit of water in to the channel on the bottom by the hinge and see if the water drains out of the holes

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back