Damp Patches on chimney breast....help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Looking for a bit advise, my house has a working coke/wood burning parkray. The chimney for the fire runs right through the centre of the house, and the walls that the chimney.

I have noticed that, damp patches have appeared on the upstairs part of the chimney breast and get worse every time it rains.

I’ve had a builder up on the roof and has re-pointed my chimney, and done some work on the crown he also checked the surrounding area of the chimney.

I’ve been reading that there is a cap to stop rain coming down the chimney but allows the smoke still to come out, could this be the answer?

I don’t really want to spend too much on the house as I am looking to put it up for sale, but can’t do this until this is sorted out.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Sponsored Links
Didn't your builder suggest fitting a cowl to the chimney?

Cheap and easy to fit, a top-hat cowl will keep the rain out.

The chimney should have a cowl fitted but I have seen this loads of times, it's soot seeping through the brickwork, try painting the area with gloss paint a few times and then emulsion and that should stop it coming through.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back