Damp patches under roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good evening,

My wife and I bought our house (1880s semi) in November last year, we've had the old cement render ripped off as it was cracked and leaking, and had it replaced with lime. This all now looks great but we've noticed damp patches appearing on the tender when it rains, just underneath the roof edge. I'm guessing the underclosk.might need replacing but wanted to ask advice? And is this serious.

We've got no damp reading inside the property in that area so dont believe the roof is leaking.

Any advice regarding what this might be, and what to do would be greatly appreciated. I've added a photo for clarity.

Attachments

• 20190730_194821.jpg
    20190730_194821.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 244
Sponsored Links
Thanks for the response, is it best to get the undercloak replaced, is that the likely issue?

Sponsored Links
probably is an under cloak issue.

what lime was used?
I'm not sure, we paid someone recommended to do it. It was a traditional lime render, with horse hair weave mixed in. It then had several coats of lime wash as a shelter coat.

I think the undercloak issue has been there for a long time as where the dalp patches are the previous cement render had cracked. See the photo prior to lime render.

Would we usually get the undercloaking replaced?

Attachments

• 20190410_181134.jpg
    20190410_181134.jpg
    217.3 KB · Views: 259
Last edited:
You could put a small fascia board up in conjunction with a continuous dry verge to shelter that area.

You could put a small fascia board up in conjunction with a continuous dry verge to shelter that area.
That's really helpful, thank you. You don't think I need to get the undercloak, verge, and edge tiles removed and recemented?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back