Slate roof woes: full re-roof or just replace a few tiles?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, and apologies for my first post being a question but I am really needing a bit of expert advice on my roof.

We've lived in our house for almost a year, through torrential rains and really severe cold. With no leaks or damp. However very recently, overnight a small patch of damp plaster was obvious in the upstairs bedroom. The damp patch made the paint bubble up, but although it was approximately 3-4inches square, it only spread from the join between the wall and the celing down the wall - but not along the ceiling. We've had another couple of much smaller patches at different spots along the wall but again nothing on the ceiling.

Anyhow, I've been up into the loft to have a look at the roof from the inside to see if there were any obvious leaks. It's a slate tiled roof on a house that is approximately 100yrs old, and we've no knowledge of whether it has been replaced in that time.

My observations were as follows:

- It appears that all of the major joists running horizontally across the width of the loft are damp on their top surface. These are the joists that are above floor level. They aren't 'wet', but do feel slightly damp to the touch.

- The thinner slats that run down the length of the roof, from the peak to gutter, are also damp. Some are damp all over, some again on the top surfaces only. They vary in their dampness, and I checked 3 out of the 5 or 6 up there. Again none were soggy or really wet, but mainly just again damp to the touch.

- A large number of slates are either slightly, almost imperceptibly damp, or glistening, on the loft side. Now this is only the underside of the slates on the outside of the roof, not the slates that are completely exposed to the inside of the loft. You can only see a few inches square of the damp tiles between the others where they overlap. I repeat, the vast majority of the surface area of tiles in the loft are dry - only the small overlaps between are damp.

- The roof from the outside has indeed got several cracked tiles. Some are very seriously cracked and look in some cases as if they are cracked their full width. This is my view from the road outside. However the rest of the roof looks like it's in good condition, far better than the bodged and repaired neighbours.

- There is no obvious signs of dripping water in the loft. The dust and grit etc on the crawl boards and junk, is also completely dry, and from what I can see the insulation is also dry - although I can't really tell right under the smallest space at the gutter side of the roof.

We've now had three estimates:

1. Full roof redone, minus felt, £2500 - "porous slates letting water through".
2. Replace half a dozen cracked tiles, £250 + VAT.
3. Full roof redone, £6000. Also offered to do cracked tiles instead for couple hundred as a short term fix.

We've got some more guys coming out to look, but as the first three have such wildly different opinions I'd just like some expert knowledge on slate roofs - specifically how they should be on the inside of the loft (should they be damp feeling? Condensation?) and could a few cracks cause this or could the whole lot need replaced due to becoming porous?

Apologies for the massive post, but any help would be appreciated!

Sponsored Links
One of the problems nowadays (old git) is we seal our houses.
We stop air circulating.
We also have central heating.
We used to have a roaring fire that kept the whole house dry, hot air blasting up the chimney would keep the damp in a none felted roof at bay.
So we have a combination of less air circulating, lagging in the loft stoping any slight water ingress from drying and no more hot air rising and drying the same water ingress.
Modern house roofs, if done properly, use a breathable felt and have proper eaves ventilation.
You don't seem to have a serious leak, it is probably the roof coming to the end of it's life although if we still had constant open fires it would have lasted some time longer.
Those 'thinner slats' are rafters, go up the loft in heavy rain and see if you can spot water running down them.
You say you have a 'slate tiled' roof?? Which is it, slate or tiles, it can't be both unless you have had John Wayne in :LOL:
If you are seeing signs of wet then i would go for a full re roof if you can, tiles if possible, NOT slates, pain!!
It is difficult to get a proper repair on slate unless you can find someone who is honest.
100 year old slates will be very brittle and when you attempt to change some, a pain in itself, you invariably split others.
Alot of roofers will just get fed up and leave you with the same problem.
BTW, have you got a damp patch on the wall outside where the problem inside is?
Have you checked your guttering?
Watch it in heavy rain, see what is happening.

Went up there tonight when it was tossing it down, couldn't see any drips or running water at all. Just damp wood.

Yeah, I meant slate not tiles. I keep saying tiles just because I think of them as the same thing. Defo slates.

The outside wall looks fine to my eyes though. As for the guttering, I don't know - however theres no drips or leaks running down the wall or gushing over it.

Thanks for the reply though!

Not hijacking this thread, but thought the discussion I've just had might be of help. There are also photos of my roof, which, for the most part, seems to be needing replaced. No internal shots, but you can compare the condition of my slates to yours visually. Mine need done, simple as that :)

Someone told me just before I bought my money pit that you could keep a roof going indefinitely. They never mentioned how much of a pain that was!!

Here's the thread //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=120366

Sponsored Links
Is your loft space well ventilated...this type of setup it needs to be to get the timbers dry...it may be possible that a recent insulation job in your attic has reduced ventilation @ the eaves?..hence condensation?
Also...your wet spot is on the wall just below ceiling level, are you sure water isnt getting into your eaves somehow. leaky gutter or a broken tile right @ the eaves that you may not be able to see without been on the roof springs to mind.
Dont change the roof unless 100% sure its required...have other houses on your road had their roofs replaced?
Marty.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back