Temporary repair for hole in slate roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Forum Members,

I need suggestions on the best way to temporarily fix a hole in the slate roof of my house from the inside (i.e. from the loft area) till I can get the roof retiled properly. Objective is to prevent or minimise the ingress of water into the loft area.

Due to the recent bad weather the roof of my house has developed a "hole". The roof is a slate roof and 2 of the slates seem to have snapped in half leaving a fairly significant hole in the roof. Unfortunately I do not have a photo on hand but the hole is irregularly shaped and is about 10 cm X 10 cm in size.

The roof is very old and does not have a felt layer under the tiles. Therefore all water entering the roof structure falls onto the plasterboard ceiling... I noticed a significant brown damp patch a 2 days ago on the bedroom ceiling which is how I knew that the roof was leaking.

The roof is a very old roof and I was planning to get the tiles changed sometime in the next 1-2 years. However I will now try and get it done in the next 6 months.

I cannot access the roof from outside for multiple reasons including safety, height, risk of causing more damage to the roof, ladder will have to be on neighbour's flat roof etc.

But I want to know how I can temporarily fix the hole till then?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Its not a good idea to go tap dancing on any slate roof, so gan canny.....
You may find some DPC plastic sheet is enough to slide under and cover the hole - failing that, its a full slate, I think.
John :)

@Burnerman - thanks!

Sorry forgot to mention that this fix had to be from the loft area since I cannot access the main roof from the outside. I have edited my original post to make this clear.

Difficult to say without seeing the job, but plastic DPC is nicely firm but workable at the same time.....it doesn't tear readily either!
John :)

Sponsored Links
Felt support trays can make very handy temporary slates (if you trim the return off them where they are meant to sit on the eaves board). Trim to size with tinsnips, tuck in where the gap is (lower bit outside, higher bit inside) and job jobbed.

I used a black piece of cardboard and ran it through a laminator a few times made a good temp tile for a friends roof.Fitted from loft easily as it's very slim.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back