DAMP PATCHES

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A few weeks after painting a bedroom wall weird damp pacthes appeared. I've stripped a few patches patches back to reveal discoloured plaster
However more spots are appearing all over the wall.

It's a victorian terrace and directly above is a chimney stack which has been removed, however I've found no damp up there at all. The weird thing is the way the marks appear with out anything joinging them up, which I'd expect tracking water to do.

The neighbour's bathroom is on the otherside, however he refuses to answer the door. So any senisble ideas most welcome.

By the way, I sized the wall before painting the emulsion with wall paper paste. There was emulsion already painted there when we moved in. It was never a problem until a few weeks after the new paint went on.

Sponsored Links
By the way, I sized the wall before painting the emulsion with wall paper paste. There was emulsion already painted there when we moved in. It was never a problem until a few weeks after the new paint went on.

O dear... :rolleyes:

This may be part of the cause of your problems, or the stains may come from soot that was left in the chimney stack and damp could have pulled it through the wall at some point.

Your really need to get that emulsion off though..and wash that paste off...or you will have nothing but trouble in the future.

And then seal the wall with a couple if coats of stain block.

Sponsored Links
No problem...and you dont size walls before you paint them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back