Damp patches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to buy a house and one that I like shows worrying markings on the window (see image).

This is from the estate agent photos. When I visited the property it was painted over. The owner told me that he had recently had it re-plastered, due to the plaster being applied badly originally and never having properly dried out. The owner has also said that he had a timber and damp report done, and that they said that the house did suffer from condensation but no other dampness issues.

From what he tells me, this photo is from after the re-plastering, before he painted over it.

Could the markings in the image below just be from drying plaster or does it look like a further damp problem?

ZUNeE9E.jpg

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you :)

Sponsored Links
the owners talkin rubbish. dont believe what sellers, damp people an estate agents tell you.
thats not condensation or dryin plaster.
the metal corner beads are rustin an showin through.

youve probably got damp penetratin that wall an window reveal - due to possibly a solid wall with external rendering.

look left on the ceilin above the cove - thers a dark smudge that could possibly be a damp sign.

brian284842, good evening.

OK sounds like Estate Agent waffle??

The damp [wet] staining appears to be of long standing based on enlargement of the image posted, the plaster at the junction of the lintel and the Ingoe is really dark indicating a long term ingress of water?

Overall the image posted does not appear as "normal" condensation??

Further?

If you look closely at the sill area, there are about 3 missing wall tiles, the splash-back tiles should carry through to slightly overlap the sill, they do not.

And also, the image posted indicates the "white" emulsion stops, or peters out just above the sill and the level of the tiling??

If you can, go back for a second look at the property, BUT?? purchase a moisture meter. these devices are available at minimum cost from all the "major" commercial outlets, run the device of your choosing over this shall I refer to it as a suspect area of the property??

Ken.

Is there a flat roof above?

Or a bathroom?

I'm sure that, given time and money, the leak can be found and repaired, the rotten wood replaced, and the damaged plaster dried out and renewed.

It isn't condensation.

Sponsored Links
Thank you all for your replies. Much appreciated.

Even with my limited knowledge, the condensation explanation wasn't making sense to me.

I find it confusing that they left that one side of the reveal unpainted while the rest has been covered. Perhaps that was the worst effected area and they wanted it to dry out.

I might have thought that this was caused by leak, as the boiler is above this area and he said that it was replaced two years ago... but at the opposite side of the kitchen, there is a similar patch on the wall by the door, which, again, was painted over when we got there. Also, the brown device under the table in the image might be a dehumidifier.

I've asked the EA to ask the vendor for more information about what work was done in the kitchen and why. I'm hoping they may come clean about what happened so I can make an informed decision. I'll also get a tradesman to have a look.

Thanks again for your replies!

LZ0rCnl.jpg

Brian284242, Hi again

Looks like a can of wriggly things??

In this latest image posted.

Directly above the external door is a small dark stain and obvious distress in the plaster [a crack]
on the wall coming towards the camera the cove is loose?? and flaking paint on it is a dead giveaway as to some shall I call it "issues"

Ken

Is there an extractor fan in the kitchen? There is no trickle ventilation on the windows and this is the kitchen we are looking at.
The one dark patch on the ceiling is above (maybe) the kettle.
The missing wall tiles maybe to allow for some (admittedly not good) wiring.

The walls look like they are of single brick construction, i.e. little or no reveals on the back door.

For a kitchen, this is bad news. A poorly constructed kitchen with little attention to insulation, is not good.

Can be rectified with either a loss of space and plenty of £££

Thanks again for all the replies.

You can just about make it out in the photo of the window, the owners have a square of transparent plastic adhesive over the vent in the centre of the window to keep out the cold during winter.

Obviously with them blocking the ventilation, cooking, and having cold walls from the probable single brick construction, condensation is going to be a problem.

Could condensation be enough of a problem to cause the markings shown on the windows though? Previous comments suggest that there is a different or additional cause.

Also, this kitchen is part of the extension (with pitched roof) on the original terrace house, and there is a bathroom and box room with the boiler above the kitchen. If the whole extension is single brick construction there will be insulation/condensation issues all over.

I suppose it is possible that the door has more reveal on the outside, but I'll get someone who knows what to look for to come with me for the next viewing, who can give me a quote on what work might need to be done.

Thank you all for your comments. Much appreciated.

Previous comments suggest that there is a different or additional cause.

The degree of discoloration and marking strongly suggests something is going on as well as Condensation?

As an aside? do they have a Tumble dryer? if so is it a condensing one or vented externally?

Ken

They have what I would guess from the photos to be a vented dryer - though I didn't think to look for a vent outside. It is just below and left of the discoloured side of the window.

forget about condensation an ventin - youve got penetratin damp.
i dont now if they are single brick walls or solid 9" walls do you have a outside photo of a door or window?the extn was possibly an ilegal garage extension.
still dont now if theres render on the outside walls?

lots of dont now's so dont let it put you off buyin the place if it suits you.

nonsense - theres nothin in the two different views of the kitchen which show a leak pattern or staainin indicatin a leak.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back