Damp penetration through wall rotting windows

You will be pi$$ing in the wind with that soft wood window and that cill detail.

Sponsored Links
I will just have to keep filling until I can afford replacements. The window is close to the edge of the brick and has sealant, I have attached new photo, so I don't think it is getting in at the bottom. Please tell me if I am wrong.

15382284908121278929228.jpg

Sponsored Links
That looks ok, it should certainly keepbrain out for a while.

Unusual cill arrangement!

Didn't realise from the 1st photo you had cant bricks in the cill. Maybe the frames would have benifited from being set further back into the jambs.
In really exposed places they are often put into recessed jambs.

Didn't realise from the 1st photo you had cant bricks in the cill. Maybe the frames would have benifited from being set further back into the jambs.
In really exposed places they are often put into recessed jambs.

I actually wondered if the original windows were set back further, or even set behind the outer skin.

I actually have a photo of the house when new in 1905. The windows are recessed about the same depth, but it looks like there was a stone cill for these windows. Other windows had the tile and brick arrangement that is there now.

Nowadays the NHBC recommend what is known as a check reveal for Scotland and areas of high exposure. This means the frame is set back 4.5 inches into the wall and the facework comes past it to cover part of the frame.
Even though it was built like that originally it was probably a poor design, and maybe had hardwood frames.
Modern timber windows often need really looking after.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back