Damp plaster issue?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all,

Had a bit of an on going niggle with one of our interior walls. Over the last 18 months to 2 years there has been a gradual onset of paint flaking off one of the inside walls.

The wall In question is the dividing wall between us and our neighbours. Over this time I have been brushing off the flaking paint which has been leaving behind bare plaster. The flaking has gradually gotten worse over the last 6 months or so, by worse I mean spreading out.

To confuse matters further, it is in the middle of the wall, not the bottom.

Earlier this afternoon I decided to sand the area back to removed as much of the paint as possible, there are patches of hollow plaster, but also areas where the paint as come off which are solid.

I know the common cause of paint flaking off is damp, but could anyone tell me by my pics if the plaster looks like it's damp, especially as it's in the middle of the wall so it doesn't appear to be rising damp.

Otherwise my other thought was that it's due to the wall drying out due to the hot weather we've had?

The plaster and paint hasn't had any signs of mould or black patches.

Next doors house also has any issue with damp, and I know one of the area affected is the same wall as mine and nearly in the same place. There is a lean too next door, which has deteriorated over the last few years.

It is made of a wooden frame and I know one of the supporting batons is screwed to the back of the house but it goes into brick and both houses are rendered so I presume the lean to was erected before the houses were rendered.

The "roof" of the lean too isn't chased into their back wall, it just butts up to the back of the house and the seal between house and roof has perished which is probably letting water in when it rains.

I've tried to seal the area immediately above the baton with frame sealer but this keeps cracking, so don't know what else I could use in the interim.

Anyway, enough of me waffling on, attached should be several pics of the inside wall and also on the lean too and would really appreciate some help.

Thanks
IMG_20180901_174850.jpg
IMG_20180901_174927.jpg

Sponsored Links
Wouldn't let me add the third pic so here it is
IMG_20180901_181025.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back