damp plaster (penetrating damp problem)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

We got a room skimmed 18m ago and one bit of plaster didn't dry out, but we realised that there were bricks breaching the cavity (underneath the chimney) and have since had the house sprayed with anti-damp stuff.

Problem is now the wall feels dry but still is a different colour (possibly stained). How could I tell when the wall has dried out? the area will need rendered again anyway as it is under the chimney and there are hygroscopic salts (quite bad and fluffy in some areas)

I just would like to know when will it be safe to replaster? And what is sbr slurry??

Sponsored Links
A brick or two breaching the cavity won't cause damp problems.
Victorian houses don't even have a cavity - but they aren't damp.

Whatever you sprayed your house with to remedy the damp was a complete and total waste of money. What did you pay for it?

If it's to do with the chimney breast it's most likely condensation.

Take a photo - then we won't have to guess.

Waste of money, just what I want to hear...! We had a builder in who told us that it was the bricks and we got an independant to spray it so thought it was legit. There is a row of 15-20 bricks breaching the cavity at the level of the cornice and another row of bricks above this. The damp patch has only been shrinking since we got the wall done so we thought it had worked. Any other ideas of what it is are greatly appreciated tho

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back