Plastering the internal wall following penetrating damp.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've had to have my house re-rendered due to several blown areas & cracks on the old render caused some penetrating damp damage. What I'd like to know is how best to repair some of the damaged plaster internal to the house? Should I remove the plaster completely back to the bare wall & leave to breathe / dry out for a period or just remove & re-plaster? Is there a particular product that I could use on these areas to seal or further protect the plaster incase of further problems?

Many thanks to those who take their time to reply,

Cheers

Djjenks.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I've had to have my house re-rendered due to several blown areas & cracks on the old render caused some penetrating damp damage. What I'd like to know is how best to repair some of the damaged plaster internal to the house? Should I remove the plaster completely back to the bare wall & leave to breathe / dry out for a period or just remove & re-plaster? Is there a particular product that I could use on these areas to seal or further protect the plaster incase of further problems?

Many thanks to those who take their time to reply,

Cheers

Djjenks.
hard to say without assesing it first, you say your house has been rendered........ didnt the guys advise you whilst they were there??

Hi,

sorry for a late reply, spoke to the guys doing the outside & the recommended taking the internal plaster fully off the wall that has the penetrating damp (only about a 4foot square area that is damp damaged) & wall its on as only a bit bigger than 2 full size plasterboard sheets. Once its bare he said to either get a dehumidifier & let it do its thing for a day or two, or to just leave it bare for a week or so as room its in is well ventilated & warm. Once dry he said to reboard it using a moisture resistant plaster boards.

Does this sound correct?

Cheers,

Djjenks

spoke to the guys doing the outside & the recommended taking the internal plaster fully off the wall that has the penetrating damp (only about a 4foot square area that is damp damaged) & wall its on as only a bit bigger than 2 full size plasterboard sheets. Once its bare he said to either get a dehumidifier & let it do its thing for a day or two, or to just leave it bare for a week or so as room its in is well ventilated & warm. Once dry he said to reboard it using a moisture resistant plaster boards.

Does this sound correct?

Doesn't sound quite right to me.
If he is suggesting MR boards, it's because there's some damp there still. Surely would be better for this to dry out properly and then correct with normal wall board, F&S or some internal s&c render. There was a post a while ago about recommended drying times of brick walls. 1" per week or something like that.
Is the external render ok now, or is there an element that it still may not be right after re-render, will continue to let water through and this helps mask the problem? Maybe I'm a cynic ;)

Sponsored Links
Hi,

The external render is fine now as the cause to the penetrating damp was where a previous boiler exhaust had been patched (badly) by the previous owner so all sources of damp entry should resolved by this as I've had the entire house done rather than it being patched.

Maybe I should get the internal plaster down and see exactly how damp it is so I can gauge how long it should wait for it to dry.

He only recommended the MR board in the event that in the unlikely event that that area of wall which has already had a damp issue then it'll not affect the internal to such an extent, as it slowly turned the wallpaper blue/black.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back