Damp Plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone help me with a problem. I have builders working on my kitchen at the moment. They extended the property so the old outerwall is now one of the innerwalls.

The have plastered the extension 6 weeks ago and it has still not dried despite placing heaters in the room at night and the boiler is in same room.

They are now trying to finish the job so are trying rush ahead, reskim it and place the kitcheb units on the wall. I have told them there is clearly damp and a possible leak in the roof, but they say "it will clear up in time".

Can anyone offer me some advice on what I should do or how I can prove I really have a problem.

I have damp on the bottom half of the wall, damp plaster near the ceiling and a mysterious damp patch around a socket, despite the rest of the wall being dry

Sponsored Links
Why don't you pop that bit of board off the ceiling and have a nose around above it? You might have a leaking flashing on the new roof. It doesn't look to me like it will clear up on it's own. And what's with all the wiring? It reminds me of my lunch yesterday - Spaghetti Carbonara.

Why don't you pop that bit of board off the ceiling and have a nose around above it? You might have a leaking flashing on the new roof. It doesn't look to me like it will clear up on it's own. And what's with all the wiring? It reminds me of my lunch yesterday - Spaghetti Carbonara.

I'll pop and take a look. they have already skimmed the whole lot as they are working super fast to get out of here.

The wiring.... yea... that's another sore point. The electrician is suppose to be sorting it out

any comments on the other two pics ?

Did they plaster directly onto the old brickwork with gypsum plaster,,, or did they scratch coat with sand and cement first, and then plaster??

Sponsored Links
And that is why you have all that damp around the socket, as that will be screwed direct to the brick, the cement is holding back the water else where. I feel if a kitchen is installed over that wall you will have a rotting kitchen within a year. Someone feel free to correct me, I think there is a hell of alot of water within the old external wall.

And that is why you have all that damp around the socket, as that will be screwed direct to the brick, the cement is holding back the water else where. I feel if a kitchen is installed over that wall you will have a rotting kitchen within a year. Someone feel free to correct me, I think there is a hell of alot of water within the old external wall.

what can I do to fix it and how can I prove it. These builders are hell bent on finishing and sodding off. I have had so many arguments with them over this, they're threatening to walk off site and not come back. (half of me will be happy, but the other half is not)

To fix it you need to ensure there is no water getting into the wall and allow it to dry out ideally, i'm afraid I do not have enough experience to give you a proper answer :(

There's definitely a problem here then Bob!! I'd agree with John, you shouldn't have units fitted with a damp problem in the wall. Plaster shouldn't take 6 weeks to dry out, especially with heaters in the room, plus the boiler being in the same room. Did you see them cement the brickwork first?? To me,,, in my opinion, you either have very bad water ingress coming in from outside,, or a leak from above,,, or the scratchcoat maybe "didn't" have a waterproofer admix in, thus allowing damp/salts, etc to come through the plaster from the old brickwork.

There's definitely a problem here then Bob!! I'd agree with John, you shouldn't have units fitted with a damp problem in the wall. Plaster shouldn't take 6 weeks to dry out, especially with heaters in the room, plus the boiler being in the same room. Did you see them cement the brickwork first?? To me,,, in my opinion, you either have very bad water ingress coming in from outside,, or a leak from above,,, or the scratchcoat maybe "didn't" have a waterproofer admix in, thus allowing damp/salts, etc to come through the plaster from the old brickwork.

I didn't see them do it, but my house mate tells me they used cement on the wall. Is there any meter or instrument I can use to say "look there is a problem becuase this says so". They refuse to listen to me and we have had several arguements about it. Kinda getting sick of their "we know what we are talking about" attiitude, when they clearly do not

If the job is getting out of hand and you are not enjoying a good working relationship with the contractors then perhaps it would be best to draw a line under things. Pay them for what ever work they have done though. It's your property and money so it is important you get the best job done, within your budget. Have you organised the other trades involved with the work or has that been down to the builder, i'm thinking along the lines of the electrics as you will need the sparky who installed the cabling to certify the work.

If the job is getting out of hand and you are not enjoying a good working relationship with the contractors then perhaps it would be best to draw a line under things. Pay them for what ever work they have done though. It's your property and money so it is important you get the best job done, within your budget. Have you organised the other trades involved with the work or has that been down to the builder, i'm thinking along the lines of the electrics as you will need the sparky who installed the cabling to certify the work.

Everything was down to the builder. That doesn't concern me too much. I can get a sparky and a plumber to finish off. I am more concerned about ensuring I am on solid ground so he has no comeback on me regarding this or any other matter. Having something scientific saying this wall has a problem,.... well he can't argue with that.

These builders are hell bent on finishing and sodding off. I have had so many arguments with them over this, they're threatening to walk off site and not come back.
Tell them to sodd off & don’t pay any more money. I agree with everything that’s been said already & just from the pics you’ve posted it looks like a dogs breakfast. IMO, if they walk off site they will honestly be doing you a favour; get someone in who can assess what you’ve got, what’s been done & what needs to be done next or you’ll have nothing but problems with it.

it looks like a dogs breakfast.

I have to agree,,,, it's very poor quality, and was certainly not done by a "plasterer". Take a look at the internal corner in pic 1,,, shocking,, plus, there's more plaster on the frame in the pic, than on the wall. Get another opinion locally from a reputable plasterer. Either way, if you proceed in the condition it's in at the moment, you will have trouble in the future.

I have to agree,,,, it's very poor quality, and was certainly not done by a "plasterer". re.[/quote]maybe your right there looks like its another one of those im a builder but cant plaster jobs, or did he get a plasterer in to do it? in which case its even worse, if there is a plus here its just that its on one small wall which isent going to be that hard to take the lot off and do it again if needs be, in fact thats what i would do i would look for any way that the wall could be becoming damp ect , if i couldent find any i would take the lot off, bob you say they have skimmed it now what is the finish like on their skim?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back