Damp problem - advice needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice please :)

The brickwork at the corner of one of our outside walls is damp, with the mortar coming away, bricks feeling damp to the touch, and with a white powdery substance seeping from the bricks (more noticable when the weather is dry and cold).

In the corner of the living room (the other side of the problem wall) the wallpaper has really started to come away. The plaster is dark and feels cold to the touch.

Are the two problems linked?

I noticed the brick problem a year or so ago, and had the wall re-dampproofed, but it doesn't seem to have made a difference. The problem inside was put down to condensation, as we've had a large bulky settee against the corner of the wall.

We had cavity insulation installed about two/three years ago, and I've heard that this can allow moisture in where the two brick walls are bridged. Could this be the problem?

Thanks in advance,

mrobbo

Sponsored Links
The white salts emerging when the wall is dry is a sign of dampness, and if there is corresponding dampness internally, then it could be a true damp issue or it could be condensation.

Your post lacks any other detail, so its just a case of looking for a possible cause of the damp - DPC, blocked cavity, dripping gutters, bad pointing etc

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back