Damp Problem - advice needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, I hope this is in the right place. Apologies for the long post but it takes some explaining!

We bought our house approximately 2 months ago, it is a semi detached, circa 1956.

The survey did not reveal any damp apart from in a wall at the back of the house between the kitchen and downstairs toilet. However we had noticed that there appeared to be damp patches on the floor (laminate flooring) at the front of the house in the entrance area as well.

Over the last few weeks it seems to be getting alot worse with a vast amount of condensation also appearing. There is a long wooden box attached to the wall in the entrance hall, which goes down to the floor housing the electricity meter. We had previously had a look in there and noticed that at the bottom of the cupboard, there was bare brick showing and the plaster hasnt been finished off right down to the floor. We looked again last night and the bricks are wet through, as is the wall and floor inside the cupboard. We had a look on the outside of the house and there is an airbrick directly behind.

I also noticed today that the lounge floor (also laminate) feels damp in the window bay, spreading about 60cm or so into the room. Again on looking outside there is and airbrick directly in the middle of the window bay. I was thinking possibly the air bricks may be clogged?

There is a damp proof course, which I believe is the original stuff when the house was first built. This is one brick up from the concrete path which goes around the house, and on reading up, I am understanding that this may be too low? The concrete path around the house has mostly cracked away from the house now due to it's age, which we were looking to take up in the near future anyway. Could the cracks be allowing easy access for moisture?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated as we are very concerned that this may spell a bill of thousands of pounds to get fixed!

Many thanks,

Kim

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back