Damp problem Help needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have recently bought a property (1910 build) and have started to re decorate and have noticed a slight damp problem.

It basically appears as 3 patches on the wall It doesn't seem to be that bad just a little bit sticky.

The outside wall is rendered

When we removed the paper there was a foam type of lining paper underneath.

There was a period over the beginning of summer where it dried out and was no longer seemed to be a problem but it has reappeared again. Could this be down to condensation?

I have a attached a couple of pics and would be grateful to anyone who may have advice as to how to tackle this problem.

The damp spots are the slightly more orange areas

Many thanks in advance!!

Sponsored Links
Pics of the outside and a larger view of the room, without the chattels impeding the view, would help.

Is the skirting in sound condition?

It could be condensation - the foamed paper was applied for a reason - possibly penetrating damp or condensation?

How thick is the wall?

There is a diagonal crack on the LH wall, and a horizontal grey ... what, on the RH wall.

Note: running elec cable in a diagonal is a dangerous practice - the supply to the DSS should be vertical.

HI Thanks for replying

I haven't been able to take a larger pic of the room but will try to do this eve. I have attached a pic of the wall from the outside.

Room is on first floor no problems with skirting. Big window near in close proximity to patches and does get a lot of condensation.

My first thought was that it may be due to something on the outside, but there is no leaking pipes/gutters that I can see and I cant see any visible cracks.

There used to be a be a climbing rose attached to the wall but I have since removed that.

The horizontal grey strip appears to be cement but I cant be 100% sure.

The house is Victorian and I dont think there is a cavity. But thick solid walls!

Re electrics - this will all be redone properly so straight up the wall!

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back