Damp problem - with pictures

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been dealing with an ongoing damp problem in one corner of my dining room. This came to light when we had a new solid oak floor installed and the whole thing buckled! Using a damp Meter I identified that one corner of the room was far damper that the rest, 20% against the 1-2% around the rest of the room. Directly outside of this corner is concreted away from the house into a pathetic excuse for a soak away, which is around 10” deep and around 1.5m from the exterior wall and filled with pea gravel.

1933046857_07d75b3447.jpg

I broke open the concrete outside the damp corner (which was partially covering the original air brick) to reveal an electrical conduit pipe had been fed from inside the house under the damp proof course to a point on the garden that the previous owner was planning to use for a possible extension.

1933046851_18553f6cba.jpg

The damp in the room is mirrored by a large damp spot in the garage. Several bricks have efflorescence.

1933046843_c7d836cd1b.jpg

To my uneducated eye It looks like the water was going down the soak away, under the patio and into the hole for the conduit and under the floor. From here it was being sucked up the cavity wall by a mixture of sand and builders rubble. I opened the cavity and removed two rubble sacks worth of this delightful mixture. I did try raking but if you have cavity ties then this is difficult.

My plan is now to
1. Put all the bricks back in the clean cavity wall
2. lower the patio to be clear of the DPC
3. Pave over the soak away
4. install a linear drain tight against the house
5. Change the patio slope to run towards this drain not the Soak away
6. Take out the conduit and brick up the hole
7. Change the airbrick for a smaller one higher up the DPC

My questions are;
1. I did check the roof and found no leaks or wonky/broken tiles. I think that I have diagnosed the problem but is there anything else I should check?
2. I need to get the conduit out, but it’s not playing ball. How best to cut it far enough back to bet e brick in (I would use burning gear but cant access any)
3. The guy who built this extension was apparently a builder. Is it common for a builder to bump a couple of bags of builders sand into the cavity?

Sponsored Links
be very careful cutting electrical conduit. It may be live or even be a supply cable. It could also be a water or gas pipe.

If you can get to it under the floor, and it has an open end, and you can see into it, and it is empty, then a hacksaw would cut it, or an angle grinder if it is very thick.

If you have any doubt that it is dead, you can fill the gap round it with mortar and cut brick, or fine concrete.

If you describe how big it is, what it appears to be made of, and how heavy it seems to be when you kick it, that may help identify what it is.

p.s. always have the patio slope AWAY from the house, not towards it. Your drain might get choked one day.

As you have damp, the more airbricks you have, and the bigger they are, the better they will be at drying out the void. For best effect, have air bricks on all sides of the house to encourage a through draft.

mortar and rubble falls down into cavity walls during bricklaying unless you are careful to keep it out. modern houses have cavity insulation boards placed which stops this happening, but it is very common in older houses. many builders are reckless of faults that aren't visible. You often find rubble and rubbish dumped out of sight under floors, and this can be a source of damp and rot.

looking at the picture you posted, it appears that the patio level is above you damp proof course?

Is it me or does it look like that air brick visible was partially under the ground ?

yes, I thought that too. There is some digging needed :( to take "ground level" back where it used to be, as well as restoring a slope away from the house.

Sponsored Links
The conduit is electrical and live. It's a spur from the dining room. Pretty easy to disconnect and remove the wire. Cutting the actual conduit far enough back to insert a brick will be the problem however.
Yes, the patio level has to come down a bit. I guess it was raised next to the house to channel the water into the soak away. The original airbrick was at the bottom of the DPC.
The whole of the garden slopes towards the house so sloping the patio away from it will require a lot of effort as there is no access for a digger.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back