Height and working of damp proof course - advice appreciated

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've just had an extension built and I'm a bit of a worrier and would appreciate some thoughts from others in the know.

Our damp proof course was laid higher on the outside of the cavity wall than the inside of the cavity wall (due to levels within the existing house). The thing that is worrying me is that this means that the air bricks (we have a suspended wood floor) are below the dpc on the outside of the cavity wall but sit above the dpc on the inside of the cavity wall. What concerns me is that damp could travel into the air brick (terracotta) on the outside of the wall, through the air brick and then up into the wall above the dpc on the inside cavity wall.

I asked the builder at the time but he just said not to worry but that's not good enough for me. Are my worries well-founded or am a worrying too much?

Also the bricks below the extension dpc are currently saturated. Is this normal - it doesn't seem to be the case in the rest of the house?

The builder has laid paving right up to the extension. Mostly this has a very slight slope away from the wall so that the rain runs off but in a couple of places he's not got it quite right and after heavy rain there's a shallow pool of water (say half a cm) up against the bricks. Will this cause any harm and should I get him back to fix it?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
iirc the dpm/c has to have a height limit of 150mm(6 inches)because of splash,i:e a raindrop will splash up 5inches.
as its a cavity wall i personally do not see a problem,as long as the cavity has been kept clean.as for the airbrick i wouldve thought that if there is enough air flowing through then any moisture should just evaporate.
i would worry more about the bricks being saturated above the dpc. ;)

I'm slightly confused as to what's going on tbh any chance of a sketch maybe suing this //www.diynot.com/network/user_album_draw.php?album_id=948 showing everything and how its related to each other a bit like this one

detail_b_9.2.1.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back