Damp problem

31 Dec 2008
Reaction score
United Kingdom
I have damp in an external ground floor wall of a 1906 terraced house. The damp was evident due to rotten skirting board and paint flaking from the wall. I've removed the affected skirting and plaster to find that there are 3 or 4 places where the mortar in the header section of the brickwork at the base of the wall is missing altogether and I can feel a draft coming in through these gaps.

There is a chemical DPC so I'm assuming the gaps in the mortar has lead to water ingress, how should I go about filling these gaps? Is mortar alone sufficient or will this simply act like a wick to any moisture?
Sponsored Links
Cut out old loose pointing on both the header section and perks of the brickwork and brush off. Damp down useing a fine spray. Mix up 4 building sand and 1 cement and a little pva dont have the mix to wet as it will smear the bricks. Work it well into the joints with a small tool or a rubbing iron leave for a while say 20 to 30 mins and then brush off with a soft brush.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links